The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 15, 2019, 11:59 AM   #1
gagliano1770

M1 Carbine bolt

is it safe to switch out a US M1 carbine bolt with a replacement USGI bolt and not have the weapon checked out by a qualified gunsmith ?
Would most appreciate comments from the membership.
Old April 16, 2019, 01:13 AM   #2
10-96

I started to post up with a knee-jerk reaction of "No!". However, I believe if you can remove the ejector and have a set of Go / No-Go gauges handy, then the answer lies with those tools. If that's not something you feel comfortable doing, I wouldn't do it.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old April 16, 2019, 12:47 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

"No!" is the answer if you just change bolts. Bolts are not drop in parts. They require fitting for head space. That requires proper head space gauges and maybe a chamber reamer. Said gauges can be rented or purchased for reasonable money from Pacific Tool and Gauge, et al.
It's not always easy to find a "qualified" smithy either. Preferably one who has the gauges/tools already. If he buys 'em, you will pay for 'em and not get to keep 'em.
Old April 16, 2019, 01:25 PM   #4
SIGSHR

Weren't parts for US small arms from the M-1 Garand/M-1 Carbine-perhaps even the M1911-onward basically drop-ins ? We talk about "mixmasters" but it was the duty of front line Ordnance Corps men to get weapons back in to service ASAP and hence hand fitting and machine work for them was reduced to a minimum. ?
Old April 16, 2019, 09:33 PM   #5
riffraff

On ebay i recently bought a set of .308 go, no go, and field forster brand gauges for something like $80. It was a regular listing of new stock. If you are going to mess with stuff yourself then do it right, otherwise you are only saving money at the expense of quality. A gunsmith can of course do the same and id only expect to pay $20 or so if the check is quick on that rifle, but its nice to see and fuss over things yourself.
Old April 16, 2019, 10:40 PM   #6
tangolima

I doubt you can get a smith to do anything nowadays for $20.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old May 2, 2019, 05:39 PM   #7
Chris_B

Quote:
Weren't parts for US small arms from the M-1 Garand/M-1 Carbine-perhaps even the M1911-onward basically drop-ins ? We talk about "mixmasters" but it was the duty of front line Ordnance Corps men to get weapons back in to service ASAP and hence hand fitting and machine work for them was reduced to a minimum. ?
The design philosophy was for interchangeability of parts

However headspace was still checked, That's why gauges were made.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:59 PM   #8
Doc TH

M1 carbine

If you look at the Army technical manual for refurbishing the M1 carbine, when they discuss replacing the bolt, head space check is always required.