The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 31, 2019, 03:46 PM   #1
Chaparral

Drop in AR15 triggers

I have always went with CMC triggers in my AR platform guns. Does anyone have any alternatives they have used in their ARs, preferably lower in cost, that they feel is equal to or better than CMC?
Old March 31, 2019, 05:08 PM   #2
Sharkbite

Look at the POF single stage. I run those in all my short n fast AR’s. I like Rock river 2 stage in my “precision” AR’s
Old March 31, 2019, 05:19 PM   #3
rickyrick

I have a pof in one of mine. I like it just fine, but it’s the only drop-in that I own so I have no frame of reference but it’s very crisp and breaks clean. It’s all you could ask for in a trigger.
Old March 31, 2019, 05:21 PM   #4
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post
I have always went with CMC triggers in my AR platform guns. Does anyone have any alternatives they have used in their ARs, preferably lower in cost, that they feel is equal to or better than CMC?
I don't know that it's any cheaper but I prefer Elfman drop ins.
Old March 31, 2019, 07:11 PM   #5
DubC-Hicks

I'm very impressed with my Rise Armament RA434. Often found on sale under $130
Old March 31, 2019, 07:45 PM   #6
jdc606

Not familiar with the CMC trigger but really like my LaRue MBT-2s trigger at $87.
Old March 31, 2019, 09:40 PM   #7
Nathan

Rise Armament RA140....really good trigger if 4lb pull weight is ok.
Old March 31, 2019, 11:30 PM   #8
50 shooter

I use a Rise Armament trigger in my 7mm AR, from here on out, any AR I build will get some sort of drop in trigger.
No time for rearranging.
Old March 31, 2019, 11:51 PM   #9
TimW77

AR Triggers

After buying several RRA rifles both with and without their 2 stage triggers, I upgraded ALL of my AR rifles to their 2 stage triggers...

Could not be happier with them...

T.
Old April 1, 2019, 12:47 AM   #10
FrankenMauser

LaRue...
Old April 1, 2019, 06:28 AM   #11
10-96

I didn't think about it until just now, but what makes an AR trigger 'Drop-In'? Aren't they all drop-in, or do those self contained single unit types more fit the bill of 'Drop-In'?

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old April 1, 2019, 07:10 AM   #12
imashooter

"...... or do those self contained single unit types more fit the bill of 'Drop-In'?" This.
Old April 1, 2019, 08:01 AM   #13
Nanuk

I just lightly polish the milspec triggers? I might have to get binary trigger for my 40 S&W AR Pistol though.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old April 1, 2019, 08:17 AM   #14
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-96 View Post
I didn't think about it until just now, but what makes an AR trigger 'Drop-In'? Aren't they all drop-in, or do those self contained single unit types more fit the bill of 'Drop-In'?
Drop in triggers are just that, fully assembled trigger groups in a package. Some lowers have the trigger pins incorrectly drilled which is one reason that they came up with anti-walk pins. The trigger pockets can also vary in width and depth. If you install a standard trigger you might spend several hours trying to get them perfectly aligned while a drop in does just that, it drops in and after setting trigger pull you're done.
Old April 1, 2019, 09:39 AM   #15
FrankenMauser

Quote:
If you install a standard trigger you might spend several hours trying to get them perfectly aligned while a drop in does just that, it drops in and after setting trigger pull you're done.
If this is true, you're doing it wrong or using terribly sub-standard parts.

And... To install a self-contained Fire Control Group (FCG), one must remove the existing trigger. Once the pins, trigger, and hammer are out, the only installation difference between a self-contained FCG and a traditional FCG is one operation: Rather than reinstalling two pins through the FCG assembly, one installs a pin through the trigger (and possibly the disconnector, depending upon design) and a pin through the hammer.

I mean, come on... The level of difficulty there is DOUBLED!
Old April 1, 2019, 11:34 AM   #16
9x19

To install or remove, I have found that some of the cassette type FCGs require the removal of the grip and safety, whereas the standard hammer/trigger/disco types usually do not.

The only cassette types I own are from POF, but I like them (I have 3) quite a lot.
Old April 1, 2019, 12:52 PM   #17
Erno86

If using a 22 upper...I would not recommend using a Rock River Match trigger group....since I've broken three of there hammers while firing with it. RR replaced them free.

One of the trainers at Gunsite, recommends that all students should bring an AR that has a mill spec hammer, along with an extra one including bolt & spring parts.

In a dire situation...I would feel much better if I have a mill spec hammer installed on my AR's

Though I just installed Geissle fast fire trigger group on one of my lowers, with a 4.5 pound hammer spring. It did come with an extra lower poundage hammer spring.

--- George Orwell
Old April 1, 2019, 02:20 PM   #18
wachtelhund1

I use Jard adjustable triggers in my three ARs. I don't know if their cheaper, but I like the fact that they are adjustable for weight and creep. Two are set for 2.5lbs and my coyote AR with PVS-4 3rd gen night vision is set at 1.5lbs.
Old April 1, 2019, 03:31 PM   #19
FrankenMauser

Quote:
To install or remove, I have found that some of the cassette type FCGs require the removal of the grip and safety, whereas the standard hammer/trigger/disco types usually do not.
I've run into a couple 'traditional' style FCGs that require removal of the safety for installation or removal, as well. Tighter tolerances than 'mil-spec', and/or a bigger boss at the top of the trigger just don't provide enough clearance to snake the trigger out.
I believe my Geissele G2S-E is one of them, and the LaRue MBTs may have been another.
Old April 1, 2019, 03:31 PM   #20
ms6852

I have a RRA 2 stage trigger on one AR and for the price you can't beat it. I have a Timney on the other AR also a 2 stage. A little more expensive but easy to put in, literally takes less than 5 minutes just tighten two screws. Except for price and ease of installing the Timney wins, as far as functionality they are both equal in my opinion.
Old April 1, 2019, 05:22 PM   #21
ed308

I've installed a lot of Timney AR10 triggers over the years. But I'm find them a little harder to install install compared to a regular trigger. Getting the 4 allen screws to seat correctly can be a pain. I've moved on to LaRue's 2 stage MBT. Saving money as well which is always nice. But Timney makes a good trigger IMO.
Old April 1, 2019, 05:43 PM   #22
rickyrick

Some non-drop in triggers are pretty nice, I like the geiselle 2 stage that’s in one of my ARs and installation is just like a standard style trigger.

When replacing a trigger in a completed rifle, I usually loosen the pistol grip enough to take a little tension off of the safety detent and I pull the safety selector out partially and no problem. Then push the safety selector back in when done and tighten up the pistol grip again.
Old April 1, 2019, 05:59 PM   #23
Siggy-06

Best trigger under a hundred bucks that I've come across: Larue MBT-2S. Right now theyre at $87 each. 2 stage wise, I've tried the RRA Nation Match, good trigger, but the finish on it wasn't very good(just an observation, it still performed great).
Old April 1, 2019, 06:23 PM   #24
ms6852

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
Some non-drop in triggers are pretty nice, I like the geiselle 2 stage that’s in one of my ARs and installation is just like a standard style trigger.

When replacing a trigger in a completed rifle, I usually loosen the pistol grip enough to take a little tension off of the safety detent and I pull the safety selector out partially and no problem. Then push the safety selector back in when done and tighten up the pistol grip again.
What a great idea. I never thought about loosening the grip a little.
Old April 1, 2019, 07:27 PM   #25
precision_shooter

RRA National Match 2-stage is where the buck stopped for me.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776