The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 4, 2009, 09:32 PM   #1
oldscot3

Speer 357 146 gr.

Speer shows a 3/4 jacketed SWC of 146 gr. for .357. The usual online suppliers don't seem to have them. (Natchez, Midway, Graf) Anybody know where they might be available?
Old December 4, 2009, 09:49 PM   #2
SL1

Why do you want them?

The Speer 3/4 jacketed bullets are a VERY old design. When they hit something, the soft lead front part just breaks away and leaves the non-expanded jacketed part to penetrate as a wadcutter with a somewhat rounded nose shape. Not particularly effective.

And, some of the old Speer data for that bullet was TOO HOT. So, if you want to load it hot, try to find recent data and be careful.

SL1
Old December 5, 2009, 02:32 AM   #3
bamaranger

I like'em, some call me a VERY old reloader

I shot that bullet for a while, then went to its bigger bro, the 160 JSWC.

Some guys I shot w/ felt that it was an extremely accurate design (due to the HP, kind of like a pistol match bullet) and were pretty bonkers over it. It only shot average for me, but I didn't work w/ it much.

Both designs offer the advantage of SWC performance, w/o the hassle of dealing w/ leading, which is gonna occur w/ commercial lead bullets in the 1000 fps plus range. That blunt shape, and straight penetration is all some of us feel we need in a pistol bullet.

I note that my usual sources, Midway and Mid South don't list it either.
I just loaded up my last batch of 160's too, this summer. I'm hopin they haven't discontinued it. Will do some further checking.

Who can find ANY components these days, anyhow?????
Old December 5, 2009, 03:25 AM   #4
rc

I believe that one was discontinued along with the 160 grain version and the 44 equivalents. The half jacket design must have had problems or wasn't very popular. rc
Old December 5, 2009, 10:42 AM   #5
res45

One of the best bullet designs I ever shot out of my Ruger BH in 357 it loved a hot load and was very accurate with that bullet,If I had known Speer was going to drop it from there line I would have bought up a bunch way back then. That particular bullet has been out of production a long time your pretty much stuck with the GDHP now if you like Speer JHP. For a hunting bullet I prefer the XTP over the GDHP or a good hard case SWC. I wish they would bring it back.

I think the old Speer manual has a warning with the bullet as to what not to do with it but I can't remember what it was,something to do with low velocity and jacket separation I believer in 38 loads.
Old December 5, 2009, 11:01 AM   #6
jbwell

I have used both the 146 & 160 in 357 Mag and Max with good success.
Also the 44 versions, 225 hp and 240 sp in my 444 Marlin lever action and a 14" TC 44 mag rechambered to 444 Marlin.
Hadn't done any reloading for a few years and this year had trouble finding the 44 cal bullets. Wrote to speer and they replied that they had been discontinued a few years ago, so assume the same for the 38 cal.

Check all your local and not local gun ranges and reloading suppliers, I did and found a couple boxes of both in 44cal. Did not look for the 38s.

Last edited by jbwell; December 5, 2009 at 11:04 AM. Reason: addition
Old December 5, 2009, 08:10 PM   #7
oldscot3

I was afraid of that... my Speer brochure must be older than I thought.
Old December 6, 2009, 03:03 AM   #8
bamaranger

it figures

Sorry to hear that. I use the .44 240 half jacket as well.

So...does anybody make a half jacket SWC .38 & .44 bullet anymore on the heavy end of the weight scale?
Old December 6, 2009, 09:50 AM   #9
res45

Quote:
So...does anybody make a half jacket SWC .38 & .44 bullet anymore on the heavy end of the weight scale?
Not to my knowledge,that design is pretty much history as far as commercial bullets go. It's a little above my pay grade to get into making my own half jacket handgun bullets but it's a pretty interesting process anyways.

http://www.corbins.com/nutshell.htm