The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 29, 2009, 07:27 AM   #1
spacecoast

Lee FCD problem?

I've reloaded my first 50 rounds of LRN .38 specials, and would like to apply the factory crimp as the last step. However, even with the adjusting screw all the way "in", the bullet goes all the way up into the die without touching anything until the shell holder touches the bottom of the die. There is no resistance whatsoever. Am I doing something wrong, or am I misunderstanding the purpose of the FCD? Or is the factory crimp not necessary for these? The OAL on these rounds is 1.45", and the bullets are pushed in to the crimp ring.

Thanks in advance...
Old November 29, 2009, 07:53 AM   #2
mtnbkr

Are you using the 357 or 38 die? The 357 specific die is too long, you'll need the 38 version. I ran into this problem myself years ago.

Chris
Old November 29, 2009, 07:58 AM   #3
alloy

Carbide factory crimp adjustment

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...eos/video.html
Old November 29, 2009, 08:24 AM   #4
spacecoast

Quote:
Are you using the 357 or 38 die? The 357 specific die is too long, you'll need the 38 version. I ran into this problem myself years ago.
It's the combined kit - 4 dies
Old November 29, 2009, 09:07 AM   #5
mtnbkr

Yes, but if they're the 357 dies, the FCD won't work for 38s. I bought the 357 set and had to go out and buy a 38 specific FCD. The 38 FCD will work for 357 though.

Chris
Old November 29, 2009, 10:39 AM   #6
spacecoast

It says Lee -38/357-D9 on the side.
Old November 29, 2009, 10:59 AM   #7
spacecoast

I think I figured it out - I ended up taking the adjustment screw out of the end of the bullet seating die, and when I run the round up into it all the way it applies a nice crimp to the end of the brass on the LRN rounds. Problem solved, I may be able to give them a try this afternoon.

I don't see a similar crimp ring on the FMJ bullets I loaded, so I'll try those without doing anything else. Wish me luck...
Old November 29, 2009, 09:24 PM   #8
spacecoast

I shot 36 of each type today with no problems...

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
Old December 1, 2009, 11:34 PM   #9
tes1900

In case you didn’t know and are indeed interested

Just for the edification of those reading I have found, tonight, that the Lee decapping die which is suppose to be unbreakable does in fact break. I have contacted the Lee company and we shall see what they intend to do about it…I haven’t even had it two weeks.
Tom

Old December 2, 2009, 02:31 AM   #10
armoredman

Lee will take care of you. I have never had a Lee die break, sorry to hear that, what were you decapping?
Old December 2, 2009, 03:11 AM   #11
tes1900

It was a .223, I didn't notice the make.

But what made me mad was that it was so new, I think I only ran 20 cases through it, and they claimed it was unbreakable. Please understand that just because it was called unbreakable I didn’t set out to break it.

Tom
Old December 2, 2009, 03:20 AM   #12
tes1900

about media

I’ve been experimenting a great deal with my tumbling media and those dryer sheets and I’ve pretty much got it down to a science for my tumbler at least.
Two new sheets per load cut into four strips per sheet. Then over fill the tumbler with brass it keeps the sheets form getting stuck to the sides. Let it run for about 2 hours then remove the sheets if they are dirty and replace them and do another 2+ hours and your brass should sparkle.
When I get the chance I want to try some lizard and hamster bedding as well as so uncooked rice.
Just my experimenting,

Tom