The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 6, 2019, 10:55 AM   #1
'88Scrat

DS Arms SA58

Anyone own one of these? Someone with firsthand experience.

I really like the idea of owning an FAL (sort of). Aweseome rifle! But the reviews on the SA58 I've seen seem split. People seem to either love 'em or hate 'em. But the problem seems to be the reviews I've read had determined the outcome before they started. One of 'em I saw wrote them off because they weren't made from parts kits before they really even started testing.

What you think?
Old May 7, 2019, 03:01 PM   #2
veprdude

I believe they are all built off some kind of parts kits. Later ones had more commercially made parts and are generally regarded as inferior. I like the idea of an FAL but not for $1000. Real FALs are crazy expensive.

Sorry no firsthand experience with one though.
Old May 9, 2019, 03:34 PM   #3
smee78

Check out these guys http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php they may be more able to give you some first hand experience.

As for an FAL, I love mine. They are battle rifles and shoot a rifle round from a 20 round box mag. What's not to love? Mine is a franken rifle build on a DSA upper, build by https://arizonaresponsesystems.com/ AKA gun plumber on the FAL Files from a kit I had many years ago when they were plentiful.
Old June 4, 2019, 07:20 PM   #4
Bart Noir

Smee, I also have a Franken-FAL.

Upper from Brazil (so it is semi-auto from the factory), lower from Austria so it has the full-auto setting and can actually be set to FA, where, sadly, nothing happens.

The wooden stock and handguard are from Israel and the rest of the parts are from who-knows-where.

I need to take it to the range sometime soon.

Bart Noir