The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 4, 2017, 04:30 PM   #1
Roland Thunder

Electronic Ear Protection

I tried using the search option for this but it kicks up way to many posts to wade through all of them.

I am thinking about getting some electronic ear muffs. I have been looking at several of the main brands (Peltor, Walkers, Howard Leight, Pro Ears). Here are some of my observations.
  1. Some of the products have auto shut off options, other don't (Walkers). How important is this?
  2. Many shooters that use electronic muffs also use foam ear plugs along with them.
  3. The NRR number appears to be lower on the electronic muffs (22 NRR or 23) than on the non-electronic ones.

Any thoughts, advice?
Old December 4, 2017, 05:35 PM   #2
jmhyer

Auto-shutoff is nice, but not a necessity if (like me) you are diligent in ensuring they are turned off when not in use.

Howard Leight and Peltor are probably the most popular, but I haven't owned any. My Walkers were great for a while but, after a few months, they ceased to work and now are basically just passive muffs. I've always wanted to get some ProEars but have always been nervous about dropping that much cash for some.

I have found that muffs alone with NRR 22-23 or greater work just fine for me and I don't feel a need for plugs as well. My shooting is all outdoors and mainly with pistols. Possible concerns about muffs alone would arise, for me, with indoor shooting. Also, with long gun shooting, sometimes the muffs will interfere with a good cheek weld.