The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 2, 2009, 01:11 PM   #1
LennieT

RCBS expander deprimer

I have been out of reloading for close to 30 years...retired and am getting back into shooting and reloading. Set up all my equipment and discovered a RCBS die insert that I can't find anywhere. I purchased this back in the 70's. I have included a picture. The brass has been sized and the primer remover on a single stage press. I use this die and insert as the first die in my progressive loader to expand the neck and make sure there is nothing in the primer flash hole. This insert says only "RCBS 38 SPEC." I want to get a couple of these in 45 ACP and 357 (I can use this one for 357, but I like to set them and forget them). Anybody know what these are called and where I might find them?

Thanks in advance.

Lennie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg expand_deprime.jpg (215.1 KB, 83 views)
Old December 2, 2009, 01:27 PM   #2
LHB1

Welcome to the forum. All current die brands that I use incorporate the deprimer with the sizing die. Perhaps a call to RCBS, Hornady, Redding, etc. would uncover a die which puts the deprimer on the expander die.
Old December 2, 2009, 02:48 PM   #3
snuffy

What LBH1 said!

RCBS USED to make their dies with the primer decapper pin in the second die. They don't anymore. I started loading when they did that. I wanted to deprimer in the sizing die, I sent a question to them, they replied they were working on a set-up that would do the decapping in the sizer, they would send me one when they got 'er done. They sent it about a month later. It was for .357 mag.

I think I may still have that decapper/expander in my die set. If I do, you're welcome to it. Oh , and welcome back to reloading and to THR!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 3, 2009, 12:15 PM   #4
LennieT

I was on the phone with RCBS for about an hour yesterday afternoon (55 minutes on hold and 5 minutes talking) and the support person confirmed that RCBS stopped making the dies with the depriming assembly on the expanding die in 1981. She thought that my idea of using the expander die in the first station on my progressive press to expand and clear the flash hole was a good one, but not good enough for RCBS to start making those dies again. We have a gun show this weekend here and I will go and see if I can find any of these old dies, not holding my breath though.

Thanks y'all for the responses and snuffy I sure would be interested in that die. Please email me and tell me how I can get it.

Thanks again.
Old December 3, 2009, 09:07 PM   #5
wncchester

The origianal three die pistol sets had a bare sizer for the first step, the second was the decapper/expander.

Since we can't size and expand in the same (first) step but we can decap, then using a second die for the expander makes sense. Today every maker agrees that's the better way to go.
Old December 3, 2009, 09:11 PM   #6
mongoose33

PM Sent.
Old December 4, 2009, 04:06 PM   #7
sophijo

decap sizer

I use Redding's die for that with good results.
Old December 5, 2009, 12:25 PM   #8
GP100man

Will a 45 colt die work ??

I`ll have to go do some measuring but i have a set of older 45 colt dies that exp. & decaps on die2.