The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 4, 2009, 08:54 AM   #1
Ricksgtx

22 Hornet in a AR15

I picked up 2 boxes of 40gr. JSP .223 Hornet Sierra bullets at a yard sale.
I want to load them for to a 223 Remington for plinking. Any problem with the bullet being .001 smaller firing in a Bushmaster AR 15???

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old December 4, 2009, 09:37 AM   #2
dwwhite

I can't see the bullet diameter being an issue.

What I can see being a problem is bullet performance. The hornet bullets are designed to perform at relatively low velocities, and using normal .223 loads for a 40 grain bullet, you'll be launching them considerably faster. I don't think they'll be coming apart in the air, but they certainly could explode on target.

I guess I mean to say that I might not use them on anything but the smallest game. For target shooting it shouldn't be an issue.
Old December 4, 2009, 10:44 AM   #3
farmall

If I understand correctly, these are .223" diameter bullets as used in the earlier Hornet's???? Don't think accuracy would suffer terribly, but the only way you will find out is to shoot them. I'd load light, and hope the fast twist dosen't fling them apart in flight. Not sure how light the jacket is on these.

MY biggest fear would be loss of neck tension with the undersized bullet, with the resultant hazard of bullet setback into the case.

I'd damn sure load 10-20 rounds and check OAL, before and after chambering, then test accuracy before loading the whole batch up!

YMMV.
Andy
Old December 4, 2009, 11:17 AM   #4
10-96

And... I'd opt for a double check on your crimp. I don't crimp my .223 Rems- but I thinks I would these just to be on the safe side.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.