The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 29, 2009, 08:29 PM   #1
Nomo4me

PMC .223 55 gr FMJ Bronze - crimped?

I can buy 360 rounds of this ammo for $100. My Tikka T3 lite shoots this stuff into 3/4 moa so this would make some accurate plinking ammo.

But I read here that PMC brass has crimped primer pockets and don't want to purchase a swager or other gizmo to make these reloadable.

I don't own AR's so I don't blam blam my way through a ton of ammo.

Should I get this stuff?
Old November 29, 2009, 08:51 PM   #2
CJ7365

PMC has crimped primers, so if you don't want to remove the crimp to reload then don't buy the ammo. You said you don't shoot AR, so why not remove 10 crimps at a time, with a Hornady or Lee crimp remover, its not really that much more work.

I would'nt pass up the good price on that ammo, and PMC is good brass to reload

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Thomas Jefferson
Old November 29, 2009, 09:05 PM   #3
Longdayjake

Thats .36 cents a round. I can make them for about half that if I am willing to swag crimped primer pockets. If I were you I would invest the money in a system to get rid of the primer pockets rather than just buy loaded ammo. Thats just what I would do. If you don't shoot a bunch then why would you need that many bullets any way?
Old November 30, 2009, 07:51 PM   #4
gregjc9

Quote:
PMC has crimped primers,
I just shot 4 boxes of PMC 223 through my AR this weekend, and none of them had crimped primers - at least as I understand what they would look like (crimping ring around primer). Am I missing something?

Greg
Old November 30, 2009, 09:26 PM   #5
CJ7365

The PMC ammo that I have fired have had crimped primers, here are a couple of pictures of PMC ammo with crimped primers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sm1.JPG (87.8 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg sm2.JPG (79.8 KB, 223 views)

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Thomas Jefferson
Old November 30, 2009, 09:31 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Is that ring really a crimp or are those miniature shot shell primers?

Yes. All I have is crimped. Doesn't mean they couldn't have changed their mind at some point, but that's all I've seen.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 1, 2009, 09:58 AM   #7
gregjc9

Mine definately didnt look like that!

I did some searching last night, and found a few posts that seemed to indicate PMC has a commercial and mil-spec division, and both have been running full bore. Some of the mil-spec ammo has made it into the commercial sector to relieve some of the demand.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=374143

Quote:
The curiosity burned so deep I actually emailed PMC with this. They replied that their military ammo is produced on different machines than the civilian ammo. When the military side is idle, they sometimes use it to process civie ammo. With current high demand for ammo they've kept both sides running day and night.

Result, some PMC COMMERCIAL AMMO WILL have crimped primer pockets. I'm guessing same may be true for the GFL (Fiocci) ammo. Real pain in the azz swaging all those casings.....

Greg
Old December 1, 2009, 08:10 PM   #8
CJ7365

If you process 20 or 40 rounds a time, its not bad, I have de crimped 100 at a time, and wont do that again, painful fingers, but once you do it your good to go.

Thanks for the info greg interesting how supply and demand works isn't it, Hard to believe that the Military machine would be idle and then their making civilian ammo

Old December 3, 2009, 12:38 AM   #9
ballardw

I recently was swaging primer pockets on a mixed lot of .223 brass using the RCBS tool. For those not familiar, there is a stud that mounts like a shell holder that gets pressed into the pocket.

Since some of this I was pretty sure was more than once fired I was testing cases to see if they need swaging by placing them on the stud. If they set down on it no crimp, if high then they need swaging and run it up into the die.

Some of the PMC brass did not have the typical or obvious crimps but did NOT set as far down other uncrimped brass. So I ran them through the tool and got a bit less resistance than LC military but noticeable. I suspect that the primer pockets, at least in the batch of brass I had, may be a bit tight or they have a different 'crimp' method.

My $.02.
Old December 3, 2009, 12:45 PM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

Interesting observation. There have been complaints about PMC primers having misfires. It makes me wonder if they somehow need a tighter primer pocket to function properly?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle