The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 12, 2001, 08:13 PM   #1
due process

Is an 8mm German Mauser a good choice for accuracy?

Hello,

I am a new subscriber. I have been visiting this forum now for a few months and I have appreciated the knowledge I have gained here. I have just registered so that I can post a few questions that have recently come up.

I have been teaching my son to shoot three hole groups with his .243 an he has become interested in shooting in competition. This is a new area for us and we are not sure what calibers are acceptable.

We saw an 8mm German Mauser this weekend that was captured by the Yugoslavian Army and had the German Crest replaced by the Yugoslavian Crest. It was in excellent condition. We were told it was a 1940s model.

I was wondering if a gun this old could still shoot accurately after years of service. Is this a good rifle for 300 – 500 yards?

What size 8mm shell would it shoot, 8X57 S or 8X68 S?

How would this gun scope? There is a side mount but are these still available? Or would it be best to tool for a top scope mount?

Thank you
Old November 12, 2001, 08:26 PM   #2
Destructo6

It should be chambered in 7.92x57JS (8mm Mauser).

You would probably put more money into it to sporterize it to you preferences than to purchase something already in that configuration. IIRC, those Yugo Mausers have a non-standard receiver.
Old November 12, 2001, 10:14 PM   #3
Cosmoline

The .30'06 is basically the same cartridge as the 8mm Mauser, so the 8mm Mauser does suffer from the same bullet drop at longer ranges. The Yugos are good rifles, though not if you're looking for a rifle "of pure blood" ;-) If you want one to *use* and knock around, they're ideal. Mine shoots very accurately at 100 yards, but for long shots I suspect you'd want to go with a leaner 7mm Mauser or a more modern magnum.
Old November 12, 2001, 11:21 PM   #4
yorick

I was out shooting my "sporterized" turkish mauser this weekend.

It started life as a M48 turkish from AIM surplus ($39) I had a smith replace the sight with a weaver mount ($45) and added a tasco 1.5-4 handgun scope. ($50)

It shoots minute of softball (3") at 100 yards with the surplus 8mm mauser (corrosive) ammo ($72.50 per 1000 round case) and kicks like a freaking mule (I also shoot a 338 lapua, and for shear mean, dirty rotton, low down shoulder bruising, t338 ain't nuthin compared to that mauser)

Very Cool
Old November 13, 2001, 01:10 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

For competitive shooting, none of the bolt-action military rifles make a good enough platform to justify the money required for the various modifications needed. That said, one can take any eligible rifle and learn the ropes for a relatively small amount of money.

The .308 cartridge is commonly accepted as one of the most accurate, other than the specialty bench-rest cartridges.

Seems to me the thing to do is to go to some matches and observe. Check out what folks are using, and ask questions and make notes. You'll most likely find quite a bit of interest in helping a young newbie get started. I wouldn't buy anything until I'd done some spectating.

Best luck,

Art
Old November 14, 2001, 12:26 AM   #6
David Wile

Hey Due,

You asked if the Mauser could still shoot accurately after years of service. Part of the answer to your question depends on what you expect in accuracy in a military surplus rifle. Most surplus rifles, without reworking of some kind, will not shoot anywhere close to a modern Remington or Winchester bolt action off the rack. While the rifle you see may appear to be in excellent condition, many have a barrels that are not in good enough condition to shoot as accurately as a new rifle. One needs to measure the bore at the muzzle and at the throat to determine if the bore is opened too far. If you have the tool to do this, you will likely find that most surplus rifles suffer from less than stellar barrel bores, and this really kills accuracy.

Now, having said that, I think military surplus rifles are great pieces to own - not as target rifles, but, rather, as pieces of military history in their own right. I have close to two dozen military surplus rifles, and I think they are great pieces. I like to look at them, and I like to shoot them. I do not, however, expect them to perform the same feats as my heavy barrel target rifle in 30-06 that I built about thirty years ago. That gun always did shoot better than I ever could, and, while I also like it, it does not have the history in it that my M1 Garands, my Mausers, and other surplus guns have.

To my way of thinking, the surplus rifles are not worth spending the money necessary to make them shoot with decent accuracy. You can do better with a new rifle for less money. With a surplus rifle in original condition, however, you can get a great piece of history for usually a small amount of money.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old November 15, 2001, 06:22 AM   #7
Mk VII

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the 8x57 cartridge but when you get tired of the limitations of surplus ammo (mostly corrosive, not terribly accurate and it will eventually run out some day as this is a dying caliber as far as military use is concerned) then the limited choice of bullets available to the reloader makes it a rather poor choice for target shooting. Certainly you can still do it, but it tends to be a labor of love rather than a positive choice.
Old November 15, 2001, 07:34 PM   #8
due process

thank you

hey everyone that replied, i want to thank you for responding. you have definitely helped me to see what value the mauser has. in my case it is not yet a priority based on what we are trying to accomplish.

thanks again!

Due
Old November 16, 2001, 12:58 PM   #9
Nestor Rivera

Tyr this site http://www.ODCMP.ORG

Give them a try you might want an M1 for $400.00