The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 16, 2001, 02:01 PM   #1
matt.45

smith &wesson trigger

does loosening the mainspring set screw to lighten trigger pull cause any damage to a smith revolver? Are the Wolf mainspring kits easy to install or does it take a gun smith? These may be stupid questions but I just want a cheap way to improve the overall smoothness of the double action trigger pull. The gun is a 686p by the way. I appreciate any knowledgeable input.
Old June 16, 2001, 02:08 PM   #2
John Lawson

Do not touch that tensioning screw. It will reduce, by orders of magnitude, the ability to successfully strike a primer and fire the revolver.
The Wolff kits are easy to install, especially if you have bought a copy of Kuhnhausen's book on S&W revolvers. Always use the proper screwdriver, and make sure the tip is not too long. Tap the sideplate with the plastic handle of your screwdriver, not a metal instrument. Be very careful in replacing the sideplate. Set the parts in proper relationship, hook the top protrusion under and slowly and carefully lower the sideplate into place. Never force or pound it into position.
A careful person can do the modification as well as a gunsmith.
Old June 16, 2001, 04:08 PM   #3
JoeHatley

Matt,

Ditto, what John said. Pop over to www.brownells.com and order the S&W Shop Manual and a reduced power Wolff spring set. Don't forget a good set of screwdrivers if you need them.

It's an easy project, and you'll really learn a lot about what makes a trigger pull nice. If you have any trouble, just ask for help. There is a lot of experience hanging around this board.

Good Luck...

Joe
Old June 16, 2001, 10:35 PM   #4
matt.45

Thankyou for the input I thought that was probably too easy! I head to brownell's for the wolff spring.
Old June 16, 2001, 11:12 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Ok.

In principle I absolutely agree with what Joe and John said.

However, let me preface that by saying that you CAN back the strain screw out somewhat to lighten trigger pull.

HOWEVER, I do NOT think this is a good idea in any way, shape, or form.

Shooting with the strain screw backed out too far actually makes the trigger pull worse by causing the spring to "knuckle." IOW, it doesn't bend smoothly in an arc, it tries to compress along its length.

It requires force to overcome this, and that force can act, if the gun is shot this way for too long, damage the spring toggle or the spring itself.

The ONLY proper way, in my opinion, to reduce the trigger pull weight is through a combination of new springs and action smoothing.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.