The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 1, 2013, 01:30 PM   #1
tangolima

Lead poisoning, primer residue

Do you guys worry about this? I found there was a layers of black dust covering area near the ram of my reloading die. It is primer residue. When I decap, the spent primer cup falls out of the slot in the ram, and lands in the catcher. But there is a small "spray" of residue following the primer cup. I didn't pay too much attention till recently I learned primer residue was mostly lead salt dust. Thanks in advance for your comments.

-TL
Old October 1, 2013, 01:36 PM   #2
precision_shooter

I don't worry about it, just clean it when it becomes bad. I ALWAYS wash my hands after I handle anything firearms/ammunition related. I also keep a fan going overhead, on low speed, to push dusts and such in the air to the floor.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old October 1, 2013, 02:58 PM   #3
madmo44mag

After many years in a machine shop and the chemicals used a little lead will be the last thing that kills me.
I just keep the area from getting really bad and always wash my hands.
Old October 1, 2013, 05:03 PM   #4
Jeff2131

Check this out on Amazon:

D-Lead Abrasive Hand Soap - 16oz
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009PA6WP8/..._am_us?ie=UTF8
Old October 1, 2013, 05:35 PM   #5
tangolima

Thanks gentlemen for your input. I understand the common sense approach dealing with anything dirty. But I guess it would require more than washing your hands in this case.

It is lead salt dust that can go airborne. When it gets in your lungs, the absorption is rather efficient, much more than pure lead. Blowing it just spreads it and makes it more difficult to recover. Blowing it to the ground and threading on it, and you will bring it to the carpets in your house. A little bit of lead won't kill you, but it may make you and your family sick, especially young children. I know a gunsmith who had massive lead poisoning and he had to take medication to control it. He is now at an advanced age, and still quite alive. But he will swear he did NOT like the medication he had to take. It made he very sick in other ways.

Perhaps not allowing the residue to come out is a better solution. I was told a few models of reloading presses had these sorts of recovering system built in. I know around for those, and I do like the Forster Co-ax. It is probably the best design among the others.

I am a newbie when it comes to reloading. Any information and comments are much appreciated, especially something from your real experience.

-TL
Old October 1, 2013, 06:03 PM   #6
rclark

Nope, never have worried about it.... and never will. Neither did all those that went before us either. Just clean up the area after your done and wash your hands with soap. Keep It Simple ....
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old October 1, 2013, 06:24 PM   #7
Ozzieman

Yes I do worry about it, or did. I shoot thousands of rounds a year and 70% of those are lead and I have been doing that for over 30 years. Also I breathe a lot of solder fumes from work.
Several years ago I asked by doctor to do a lead test when I was having my blood work done. He said that my lead number was higher than a normal person but well below the damaging level.
High levels of lead in your blood are nothing to joke about but even with the small amount in primers I do use a respirator when I dump brass from my tumbler. Lot of dust and I just don’t want to breathe that crap.
Next time you have your blood tested ask your doctor to have your lead level checked.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old October 1, 2013, 09:49 PM   #8
myfriendis410

Most primers sold today are made out of something other than lead styphnate. Clerinox is one name used.
Old October 1, 2013, 10:06 PM   #9
jcwit

Post a link verifying that.
Old October 1, 2013, 10:33 PM   #10
tangolima

I beg to differ. Almost all currently available primers contain lead unless marked "lead-free". Manufacturers all try to produce lead-free primers, they all have performance issues.

-TL
Old October 1, 2013, 10:36 PM   #11
HeadHunter

Having had an elevated lead level, which was very unpleasant, I try to minimize my exposure as much as possible. I wear nitrile gloves when I reload. I'll have to think about the primer funk, too, though.

"You can't go as deep [in] training as in a race or a fight. If you don't compete it's easy to convince yourself you're going hard. You're not." — Mark Twight
Old October 1, 2013, 10:39 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

I would not minimize the problem of lead in primer dust, but I would be far more concerned about fumes from molten lead and metallic lead absorption from handling lead bullets.

Jim
Old October 1, 2013, 10:55 PM   #13
jcwit

Quote:
I would not minimize the problem of lead in primer dust, but I would be far more concerned about fumes from molten lead and metallic lead absorption from handling lead bullets.
Do you heat up your melt to 1,100 degrees to the point the lead really vaporizes?

Explain how you are going to absorb elemental lead AKA metallic lead?

Now oxidized lead and lead compounds are an entirely different story.
Old October 1, 2013, 10:57 PM   #14
jcwit

Quote:
I beg to differ. Almost all currently available primers contain lead unless marked "lead-free". Manufacturers all try to produce lead-free primers, they all have performance issues.
Correct, that's why I asked for the link.

Also the lead-free primers are very expensive.
Old October 1, 2013, 11:52 PM   #15
Hammerhead

Lead free primers are expensive, nearly impossible to find, and only come in small sizes.
I worry more about primer dust and cleaning media dust than I do about handling lead bullets.
Old October 1, 2013, 11:54 PM   #16
Hammerhead

disregard please.

Last edited by Hammerhead; October 2, 2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old October 2, 2013, 05:04 AM   #17
Slamfire

UncleNick created this sticky, and based on the numbers I posted, lead particles in the air, after shooting cast lead bullets, is a significant source of lead exposure. It is orders of magnitude higher than lead vapor over casting pots, which is a source of lead inhalation.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...highlight=lead

I have not found data on primer residue, but lead is not only the nasty heavy metal in primers, and I am careful to clean my hands after primer pocket cleaning. I do not have a factual basis for my concerns about primer dust, but I would rather be safe than sorry.
Old October 2, 2013, 05:18 AM   #18
jcwit

I have a few thousand lead ingots that are vaporizing before my very eyes causing untold harm to the entire town.

Just wait till I smelt the rest of my 800 lbs of range lead. The folks in hazmet suits may come after me.
Old October 2, 2013, 09:21 AM   #19
TimSr

I don't worry a lot about lead, but I have more concerns about breathing lead when shooting than from punching out primers. Filling the primer catch tray with water should help with airbourne lead if its a concern.
Old October 2, 2013, 09:29 AM   #20
tangolima

A summary

Thank you guys for your input. Here is what I can extract from all the replies.

1. No big deal. Wash hands, with D-lead soap. Clean reloading area.
2. Ventilation, perhaps a fan.
3. Wear gloves.
4. Fill spent primer catcher with water.

More?

-TL
Old October 2, 2013, 10:12 AM   #21
Mike Irwin
Staff

Wash your hands thoroughly after handling loading components, don't smoke, eat, or drink while reloading, and you'll be fine.

If you're REALLY worried, wear a respirator designed to filter lead styphenate dust.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 2, 2013, 11:46 AM   #22
Hammerhead

Separate your media from your cases outdoors.
Old October 2, 2013, 11:59 AM   #23
precision_shooter

What kind of media is everyone using that creates a lot of dust? I'm using regular ol' corn cob media and I don't notice any dust really...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old October 2, 2013, 12:38 PM   #24
tangolima

Walnut shell is quite dusty.

-TL
Old October 2, 2013, 12:47 PM   #25
tangolima

Quote:
Wash your hands thoroughly after handling loading components, don't smoke, eat, or drink while reloading, and you'll be fine.

If you're REALLY worried, wear a respirator designed to filter lead styphenate dust.
It makes sense not to eat, drink, smoke while reloading, or near the firing line in the matter, although I see plenty of people doing that.

So airborne dust is a non-factor? Respirator is to keep the dust from getting in your lungs when you wear it. What about the dust that is already in your garage? It will be there till you somehow remove it.

-TL