The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 28, 2013, 07:37 AM   #1
NHSHOOTER

dumb mistake

Recently I was loading imr 4895 and didnt empty my powder charger when I was done, mistakenly put about 120 grains of imr 4895 into my 748 jug...The 748 was about full, is it too contaminated to use? I know..real dumb mistake..
Old September 28, 2013, 08:47 AM   #2
warhwkbb

Your Flower Garden will like it...
Old September 28, 2013, 08:50 AM   #3
jwrowland77

On the upside, your flowers and lawn will really thrive.

Sorry about the mistake though. In today's world, it's hard to find powders.
Old September 28, 2013, 09:20 AM   #4
SL1

Can you find a sieve that will separate the 4895 from the 748?

SL1
Old September 28, 2013, 09:40 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

you have created a physical mixture, like gravel. But not a chemical one (provided you don't USE the mixture).

4895 is a stick powder, 748 is ball. You should be able to separate them, although it might seem to be picking flypoop out of pepper.
Old September 28, 2013, 10:24 AM   #6
jwrowland77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1 View Post
Can you find a sieve that will separate the 4895 from the 748?

SL1
I didn't think about this. As long as it is small enough for the 748 to pass through and not the 4895. Of course, if you do sieve it, I'd still go through it was a small tooth comb to ensure no 4895 is mixed in.
Old September 28, 2013, 10:33 AM   #7
Claude Clay

...remember Mr Science (what was his name?) on old tv?

perhaps as the 2 powders have different densities if you were to pour the mixture into a clear ~5" wide container and than place it on your vibrator, or even tap the bottom with your fingers repeatedly, the ball will work it way to the bottom. than carefully pour off the flake.
worth a try as right you have fertilizer...

Make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
Light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life
Old September 28, 2013, 10:51 AM   #8
snuffy

Since both powders are similar in burn rate, I'd just load it to WW-748 charge weights and go shooting. But that's just me! I'll catch a bunch of flack for suggesting this, but it would work.

What size is the 748 jug? 1 pound or 8? 120 grains of 4895 is a tiny amount compared to even 1 pound of 748. 120---7000 grains.

A sieve would catch MOST of the 4895, but some of the skinny sticks would orient end ways and slip through the sieve. You would have to do it more than once. Look in the housewares section of a hardware store for screens, sieves. One source would be a spatter lid for keeping grease from spraying when frying something in a pan. It allows the steam to escape, but blocks the flying out. It's a fine weave aluminum screen.

Back about 10 years ago, I bought some surplus powder form Jeff Bartlet,(www.gibrass.com. It was WC-860. It had a small amount of stick/extruded powder mixed in with the fine ball powder. I simply poured the stuff,(8 pounds), on the frying pan grease lid. The WC-860 passed through easily, the course stick powder didn't. I never even bothered to say anything about it to him, just corrected the problem. It's a pull down powder from 20 MM ammo, useful in 300 mag and heavy bullet 30-06. Apparently some other ammo was pulled and dumped, but it wasn't the same powder, a stick/extruded type.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 28, 2013, 11:19 AM   #9
RC20

A mistake yes, dumb no though it seems like it in the heat of the moment.
Dumb would be to proceed without caution and further thought.

You have the time to work this out as its not a burning issue needing an immediate decision and approach (pun intended to hopefully lighten this up and get perspective out of it).

How big a jug? 1lb or 8 lb?

8 lb I might consider using it. 1 lb no (percentages huge change).

Weight the end results so you have an idea how how much is recovered.

Despite the above post, you don't know how the ignition will progress with that mixture.

Hornady does have a factory mix but it has to be very carefully controlled and they only offer the full tilt version from the factory.

Sifting it or filtering it would be the thing to do though it depends on how much work vs how much is actually in the jug as to worth.

If no powder available then time spent is worth it. Various Kitchen sieves might be the ticket. A few missed balls would not be an issue but you have to do some quality control checks (spill out some of what you think is good on a white paper and separate it and see if anything is in between.)

Its one of the hardest things to do is make a judgment on the risk vs consequences.

We have our emotions pushing us not to waste something when we are not sure there is a risk so we go with the not waste. You have to look at it as a worst case and then make the decision.

In my line of work I have dumped out entire 5 gallons buckets of oil that I was not sure someone had not contaminated.

I also had some guys dump 5 gallons of contaminated diesel into a good tank because they did not want to waste it. Has cost us thousand of dollars to fix that and if it had been an underground tank it would have been huge.

Last edited by RC20; September 28, 2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old September 28, 2013, 12:59 PM   #10
LSU

I'd go with RC 20's comments about dumping the oil when in doubt.

If you do a risk/cost analysis, that is: the risk of damage to yourself, other shooters and your firearm versus the cost of the "maybe" ruined powder - I'd err on the side of caution and go feed the flowers.

I think you might be able to "sort" the two powders but I wouldn't do it.

I know finding powder is tough and I suspect you wanted to kick yourself when you realized your mistake but why take the risk?

Let us know what you decide.

Thanks.
Old September 28, 2013, 03:25 PM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

If you have a small, battery powered vacuum, the kind you use to clean computer keyboards, you have a way out.

SLOWLY vacuum small amounts of powder out of the jug at a time. Don't pick up too much at any one time just in case something untoward happens, and frequently empty the vacuum to check on the powder that you're getting up. I'd do this outside just in case.

You could use a pen light to check on your progress.

When you're getting all ball powder, you'll know you've reached the end of your ordeal.

To be on the safe side, give the vacuum a good rubdown with a dryer sheet, inside AND out, to cut down on the possibility of static build up and discharge.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 28, 2013, 05:18 PM   #12
g.willikers

Even if it's a 1lb jar, you realize that you're talking about 120 grains of 4895, in a container with nearly 7,000 grains of 748.
Old September 28, 2013, 10:12 PM   #13
David Bachelder

I think I'd vote with Snuffy.
Old September 28, 2013, 11:28 PM   #14
mehavey

I just ran QuickLoad with equal weights of 4895 and W748 in a 30-06 under a 165gr GrndSlam.
No appreciable difference in either velocity or pressure. Dead heat.
(Add to that only a 1.7% contamination factor)

The purist in me sames dump it.
The engineer says shake it up each time and load it.
Old September 29, 2013, 11:33 AM   #15
RC20

I wish he would weigh (another pun) back in.

8 lb I might try it (I am struggling with this one!) 1 lb I would sort or pitch but as its a full per the OP, thats a lot of waste. Also have found at times a bit of powder hung up in the dispensers that I clear carefully and suspect I have had mixed in the past and no bad things (more struggling)

Still would weight what I got out be sure I had close to the whole 120 out.

As for vacuuming, keep in mind that a DC motor has brushes and those of course spark. Might be ok but would look at it closely.

I would think the 4895 would be fairly easy to pick out in a 1 lb on white paper in a pan or some such.
Old September 29, 2013, 04:49 PM   #16
NHSHOOTER

To let all of you know, it is a 1 lb container of 748 almost chuck full. I am thinking to go with snuffy and David B. The burn rates are very similar and I dont load max loads anyways. and 7000 grains compared to 120 the amount of 4895 in each load will be so minimal as to almost be non existent as long as I keep it mixed very well. If you never hear from me again, " chuckle" you will know I was wrong but I will keep you all informed. I will load up some 748's to shoot this coming weekend and give you a report by this time next sunday. Thank you all for your feedback and be sure I will try to never, I did say try to never make this same mistake again.
Old September 29, 2013, 05:10 PM   #17
Dave P

Always keep just one powder on your bench.
Old September 29, 2013, 09:55 PM   #18
MJFlores

I don't know...if we're talking about a pound...I'd toss it. We're talking roughly $20 to $25? Use it as a learning experience. You'll never do it again.
Old September 29, 2013, 11:13 PM   #19
BuckRub

Everyone whose done any amount has done something similar. I've never done that one yet but I do only have one powder on the bench at any given time and soon after every stopping point I got to where I take my powder dump and dump all powder back in container every night even if I'm gonna be reloading same combos for the next 5 days.
Old September 30, 2013, 06:04 PM   #20
cornbush

i agree with snuffy
Old October 1, 2013, 03:55 PM   #21
dwhite

I agree with snuffy.

You'd probably get the same amount of potential variation
running a magnum versus standard primer.

Burn it up.

All the Best,
D. White
Old October 1, 2013, 04:13 PM   #22
Strafer Gott

This is so easy, I don't know why no one else thought of it.
Get a big bucket of water. Empty the jug. After the stick powder sinks, scoop off the powder that floats. Dump it down the toilet. Refill the bucket and empty it down the toilet as well.

Now you have safely separated the powder.

Have a safe day!
Old October 1, 2013, 06:01 PM   #23
NHSHOOTER

Strafer, I dont know why nobody else thought of that, simple and effective..
Old October 2, 2013, 08:50 AM   #24
Magnum Wheel Man

Quote:
Always keep just one powder on your bench.
don't try this... "literally"... I did something stupid the other day myself...

I'm still setting up my loading benches in my new gun room... & have parts & pieces laying around, & still doing a little "wood butchering" on some wall racks... I had a paper bag, that had an empty RCBS JR powder measure & disks in it... I took down my regular RCBS powder measure, & for some reason, I had not emptied the Unique out of it ( maybe 1/3 of a measure full )... I was looking for a place to put it, & stuck it in the paper bag, as I thought it would hold the measure in an upright position... so... just the other day, I decided I'd move that bag with the JR measure in it, to my other loading bench, picked up the bag, & the regular powder measure dumped out of the bag, spreading Unique all over my bench top ( mixed in with a bunch of wood shavings from my last wall gun rack project )

so I am just keeping "one" powder "on my bench" unfortunately its now mixed with wood shavings from the Contender barrel wall racks I completed a couple days ago

I think I'll put that mixture in the patio garden pots, & let it "over winter"

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; October 2, 2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old October 2, 2013, 09:36 AM   #25
schmellba99

I'm with snuffy.

If you dumped it in and most of the stick is sitting right on top, I'd make an effort at scooping out what I could without getting too terribly involved.

Worst case is that you have a 1.7% "contaminated" mix of two powders that have almost identical burn rates. If you can remove even half of what you put in easily, you are below 1%, and so long as you mix it up good, you are down to an almost unmeasurable amount of "contamination".

I did the same thing a while back - pulled some loaded rounds after a ladder test that I had not shot and wasn't paying attention nearly as carefully as I should have when I grabbed the jug of powder to dump them into. I dumped about 80 grains or so of H335 into about 5 lbs of Varget. I wasn't about to dispose of 5 lbs of varget over 80 grains of a somewhat similar burn rate powder. I shook the jug up with each and every use and had nary an issue with shooting.

Obviously your call, but you are not the first, nor will you be the last, to do such a thing.