The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 28, 2013, 08:35 AM   #51
Travelin' Man

For my bolt guns where I use a long grain extruded powder such as Hodgdon H1000 (in my 7mm mag.) I have the original RCBS Electronic Powder Dispenser tied to their original infrared linked Electronic Scale. I use the scale by itself to check the charge weights when I am using my progressive Dillon XL650 where I check around 1 in 25 rounds for charge consistency. The style has changed somewhat but here is basically the same thing:
http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...prod33642.aspx
Old September 28, 2013, 10:28 AM   #52
snuffy

Quote:
I have the original RCBS Electronic Powder Dispenser tied to their original infrared linked Electronic Scale.
That scale/dispenser combo was made by pact, simply put in green plastic and sold by RCBS, ( for more $ than the pact grey combo)!. I have the green scale and the grey dispenser that work together .

I see they're still being made;

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/574...scale-110-volt

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Last edited by snuffy; September 28, 2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: inserted link
Old September 28, 2013, 11:33 AM   #53
Travelin' Man

Quote:
That scale/dispenser combo was made by pact, simply put in green plastic and sold by RCBS, ( for more $ than the pact grey combo)!. I have the green scale and the grey dispenser that work together .

I see they're still being made;

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/574...scale-110-volt
Funny, NOT, is that that is still the same price I paid for the RCBS version back around '98 or '99.
Old September 29, 2013, 05:06 PM   #54
Prof Young

Electronic then confirm with balance

I have a Hornady electronic scale that works okay but is a touch unstable. I ue it go get the initial load, then check it with my balance scale (Lee). Then I do all the confirming of the following loads with the balance scale. I do five or ten loads then check the measure.
Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old October 1, 2013, 09:31 AM   #55
Real Gun

Quote:
I have a Hornady electronic scale that works okay but is a touch unstable
Does it use an AC adapter? Mine is more stable that way, even versus a fresh battery.
Old October 3, 2013, 03:47 AM   #56
Chick

I have 10-10 RCBS, 5-10 RCBS and a RCBS Charge Master scale, and found they read exactly what the Frankford Arsenal electronic scale that you can get for under $30. AND, the Frankford scale stabilizes faster.
Old October 3, 2013, 03:54 PM   #57
bt380

If you buy a lower end digital scale like the GS-1500, don't go any further than the parking lot before testing accuracy and stability. Then be prepared to go back to the store and swap it 1 or 3 more times until you get a good one. That doesn't mean it may not start drifting a week later. All the lower end scales may do so, not singling out Hornady. I am speaking from experience. You may end up w/ a great one right off and it will be good for a long time.
Old October 3, 2013, 07:14 PM   #58
Real Gun

PACT BBK II

I was satisfied once I bought one of these and used the AC adapter. I also felt that I didn't spend a lot more than necessary.
Old October 4, 2013, 02:57 AM   #59
JustSomeGuy

I dunno.... The digitals that are under $100 are suspect. I could never find one (and I have several) that would be repeatable day after day like a balance beam is. Like a few members have said, you could get a good one on the first try. Me... I have tried and NEVER got a good one. True, I never tried one that costs over $100 either, but I guess I am old fashioned and "risk averse". Balance beams work. I suppose if you have one and use it with a balance beam to check it regularly then ok. Otherwise it seems like a shot in the dark. I don't see the advantage to them. They take longer to use for an individual measurement anyway, and you could weigh the same thing several times on one and get several different results. No... I still like balance beams.
Old October 4, 2013, 08:11 AM   #60
Real Gun

How much would one have to pay for a balance beam scale that had a scale marked to .1 grain increments? Wouldn't one be rather costly that allows you to specify that your balance would be exactly 5.3 grains, for example. Don't a lot of the scales require you to guesstimate?

As far as speed goes, i think you need one nice enough to have a magnet.
Old October 4, 2013, 11:41 AM   #61
JimDandy

Every balance beam scale I've ever seen from a reloading company goes to at least the tenth of a grain.
Old October 4, 2013, 04:35 PM   #62
snuffy

Quote:
Otherwise it seems like a shot in the dark. I don't see the advantage to them. They take longer to use for an individual measurement anyway, and you could weigh the same thing several times on one and get several different results. No... I still like balance beams.
WRONG! Digitals are much faster to use than a balance beam. The tare feature allows you to use any scale pan or no scale pan to weigh anything,(within the max weight capacity). With a balance scale, you have to GUESS the weight, then move the weights around until you're able to center the beam point. Takes a along time.

Try weighing bullets of unknown weight. Or shot charges. Got a dipper/scoop? The chart tells you approximately what it's supposed to throw for a weight. A digital tells you instantly what it weighs, no fumbling with weights, AND possibly getting one in the wrong spot!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?