The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 5, 2013, 01:42 PM   #1
JimDandy

Trafficking Bills in the Senate

This from Senator Leahy [pdf file]

and

This one from Senator Gillibrand [pdf file].

I'd have to look at the modified codes, but a couple things jump out at me. Both of them overlap, but miss a key part included in the other- inheritance, and Raffles for example...

And Senator Leahy's bill includes language mentioning citizenship and immigration status "shall be considered material to the lawfulness of the sale or other disposition of a firearm or ammunition'.".

Last edited by Tom Servo; March 5, 2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Indicated pdf download
Old March 5, 2013, 04:02 PM   #2
JimDandy

No comments yet, am I being paranoid/incorrect in my memory that 2A rights are extended to legal immigrants, (obvioulsy)naturalized citizens, H1B visa workers etc? Isn't putting this sort of language in the bill something to keep an eye on where it's going? Or am I wrong?
Old March 5, 2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Maxb49

Did anybody consider the fact that criminals don't need to purchase a commercially manufactured gun to make a fully functional firearm?
Old March 5, 2013, 04:12 PM   #4
JimDandy

That didn't show up on the surveys, and studies of how criminals got their firearms. I'd be against a large expenditure of capital on regulating 3D printers to prevent this (Now anyway) as much as I'm against universal checks at gunshows for a .7% return. Go after the 8% of FFL's responsible for a majority of handguns used in crimes, straw purchases, and the allegedly corrupt FFL's with sting operations, and other investigative tools that have a higher chance of success because they have a higher rate of occurrence.