The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 18, 2011, 12:00 AM   #1
doctor_brevic

mossberg 500 gold

flipping through the big 5 ads today and saw something that caught my eye, "mossberg 500 gold". I own a 500 persuader 20" 7+1 capacity cyl bore purchased for 300 bucks. this "gold" one appears to be the same but for a 2 differences, 1: a gold trigger (maybe brass maybe gold plated maybe gold, I don't know thats partially why I am asking you fine people) and 2(the more important as far as I am concerned, and I am pretty sure I am concerned far enough): a fiber optic front sight of some sort. is this the new 500 and my model to be discontinued? or is this some special limited run kind of thing? if its better I might sell mine and get this one for the fiber optic deal. the thing that concerns me is that mine without this new sight setup and "gold trigger" was as previously mentioned 300, the ad stated this for about 20 bucks off that... hmmmmmm. cheaper gun like a maverik? please help me decide! thanks to all, and every input is appreciated
Old November 18, 2011, 09:05 AM   #2
jaguarxk120

The next model will have a silver door breaching muzzle brake. Thas so the werewolf's and vampire's can be kept out.
Old November 18, 2011, 03:00 PM   #3
TheKlawMan

It may be a special order made up for Big5. Ask the people at big 5, but most will not know how it differs form a regular Mossberg. My guess is a gold plated trigger and fibre optic front sight are the only difference.
Old November 18, 2011, 03:17 PM   #4
jaguarxk120

Chances are your very right about that. Dick's and Cabela's have special runs made from many of the arms makers. Either their own house brand or a commerative for something.
Old November 18, 2011, 06:38 PM   #5
roadrash

I would pay extra not to have a gold trigger.
Fiber optic sights,meh
Old November 18, 2011, 07:48 PM   #6
jaguarxk120

The gold plating serve's a couple of very useful purpose's in gun making.

First gold has a very low coffecent of friction and will help to speed up the lock work (hammer falling).

Second, most important, gold is very corrsion resistant, lock work plated with it won't rust.
Needed in area's of the world where there is high humidity and rain.

Lastly it looks nice, like chrome on a car (that is when there was chrome on cars).
Old November 19, 2011, 03:30 PM   #7
roadrash

Edited because I stuck my foot in my mouth.

Last edited by roadrash; November 21, 2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old November 19, 2011, 05:39 PM   #8
jaguarxk120

Your tactical shotgun is useless against the type of animal that guns having the gold plated lock work are used against.
Old November 19, 2011, 07:01 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Some upper level shotguns have gold plated parts. I doubt this one does.

The plating was for corrosion resistance when far from home, like on safari or shooting grouse in the Himalayas.
Old November 19, 2011, 10:52 PM   #10
doctor_brevic

went down to big 5 today and took a good look at it. as it turns out it is not cheaper than the old 500 persuader but 10 bucks more, the price has fallen since I bought it a while back. the thing I don't like about this new one is that the fiberoptic front sight housing is all plastic, and cheap looking up close, and slightly bent I might add. plus there is a small hole in the top of the muzzle so that the old brass beads could be screwed in (like on mine) which is ok if there is brass being screwed in in my opinion, however this one is plugged not with brass, not with steel but with you guessed it... plastic. eeeeeew! muzzle pressure may blow that sight right off of there, I like to think that mossy makes a good quality american product, and for the most part I believe they do, but I am not interested in this particular model over my current possesion. I actually ended up buying a savage/stevens model 350 out of the blue and for the price of about 250 after tax I couldnt be happier! I mean it is definately no remington 870 (my favorite gun in the house) but it is a good feeling shotty with built in ghost ring sights, made of steel... not my first choice for defence of course, although it is probably pretty dependable, but thats why I have the mossy and the 870 and the :insert miscleaneous firearm here: right? bottom eject is pretty cool, and it makes a nice bunny gun or a pretty fun plinker, probably a good slugger with the ghost ring and front fiber optic which, again, are made of steel!!!!!
Old November 20, 2011, 09:55 PM   #11
taxidave

The 500 gold is just another of the many variants in the 500 line. It's more for aesthetics (a different look than the average Persuader). Same action and reliability. As far as the plastic fiber optic front sight, I've had one on my Persuader and haven't had any problems after hundreds of buckshot and slug shells.
Old November 20, 2011, 10:12 PM   #12
Bill DeShivs

Jaguar is exactly right about gold plating lock parts.
Old November 20, 2011, 10:14 PM   #13
oneounceload

Quote:
And I call BS on the gold plated lockwork,never heard of it,and due to the soft nature of real gold I have to believe it would rapidly wear away anyhow.
You would be incorrect; typically called a gold-washing, in many guns it is a gold/titanium alloy electroplated on. The comments about corrosion protection are spot-on