The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 14, 2008, 11:36 AM   #1
surfzombie

Iver Johnson TP22 slide issue

Hi everyone,
I am fairly new here and mostly have been reading various posts and find now that I need help with a little tp22 I just picked up this week. I took this tp22 out shooting and after about 75 rounds of various ammo's (trying to find the best one). The slide started coming off in the rear when I shoot. What would cause that to happen? Does it need a new recoil spring or what? It came with the original manual that I have scanned and if any want a copy I could email it to them. I have seen older posts for manuals and if anyone is still looking I can help with what I have at least. Thanks for you help!
Old November 14, 2008, 07:17 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Not sure what could allow this.

The IJ TP22 is "similar" to the Walther PPK in that the slide is retained by the grooves on the frame, and the lug on the top of the trigger guard.

In order to remove the slide, the trigger guard has to be pulled down and held, so that the slide is free to move just a little farther to the rear. It's then lifted up at the rear, disengaging the slide and frame grooves, and allowed to move forward and off.

Problem is, normally the trigger guard lug prevents the slide from moving far enough to the rear to allow it to move up at the rear.
Unless the slide or frame grooves are badly worn or broken/altered, or the trigger guard is broken at the top, there should be no way the slide can move upward.

Possibly, under recoil your finger is pushing the trigger guard down just enough to allow the slide to get past the lug, or the trigger guard spring is weak or gummed up.

Check the trigger guard for plenty of spring tension.
Check the slide and frame grooves for damage, wear, or alteration.
Check the lug on top of the trigger guard for damage.

Test by firmly making sure the trigger guard is fully seated, pulling the slide ALL THE WAY to the rear and try to lift up on it.
With the trigger guard in seated position, there should be no way the slide can move far enough to the rear to allow it to move upward at the rear.
Old November 15, 2008, 12:38 AM   #3
surfzombie

I think that you are correct. The trigger guard does hang down I'm guessing as much as a 1/4 an inch. I tried your test holding the guard up were it belongs and it will no budge. The spring is probably worn out. What is the best way to change this spring? Does it matter which way the trigger guard pin comes out? I assume that you drive it out with a punch. What size? I am not a gunsmith and need all the help I can get. The gun is really worn out and I want to restore it. I know that I paid too much for it but it's a cool gun. I bought 2 of them last week for $200 and I knew that one was a basket case but, the other was sold as a working gun. I guess I should learn form this experience. Any help would be Greatly Appreciated!
Old November 15, 2008, 07:49 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

Here's a view of the TP and parts:
http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...odel=0770zTP22
Click on the picture to expand it.

They're out of the trigger guard spring but here's other possible sources:

http://www.jackfirstgun.com/
You have to actually call, but he's the best.

http://www.gun-parts.com/iverjohnson/
Shows in stock.

FROM THE LOOKS, (note the qualifier) the trigger guard seems to come apart just like the Walther PPK.
Drive out the pin from left to right. (Note: CAREFUL, the frame WILL break at the pin hole).

Reassembly can be tough, because you need three hands to force the trigger guard in place and push the pin back in.
Old November 16, 2008, 04:17 PM   #5
surfzombie

Thanks for all your help and time you spent doing this for me!! Your GREAT !!
Old November 16, 2008, 09:55 PM   #6
Superhouse 15

Spring

Actually, the spring is showing in stock at Numrich.
Old November 17, 2008, 12:26 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Don't forget the plunger. Maybe someone else did, which could cause the problem described.

Another possibility is that someone messed around with the spring or plunger and it/they are sticking in the hole.

Jim

P.S. I used to have one of those guns, but got rid of it; the sharp edges of the slide raked me and the loss of blood made me dizzy and unable to shoot it accurately.

JK
Old November 18, 2008, 03:33 AM   #8
surfzombie

Where is this plunger your talking about?
Old November 18, 2008, 07:16 PM   #9
Dfariswheel

The TP-22 diagrams and parts lists don't show a plunger.

I think they installed just the trigger guard spring in a deeper hole that needed no plunger.
Old November 20, 2008, 12:06 AM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

Right, the IJ T.P. 22 diagrams don't show a plunger. I looked first at the Walther TPH diagram and it shows a plunger. (Things get a bit confusing, as the IJ T.P. 22 is a copy of the Walther TPH, while the Walther TP in .22 is a totally different gun and has a fixed trigger guard.)

So a replacement spring should fix the problem.

(I have a NIB TPH but I am not sure I want to take it apart to check.)

Jim
Old March 14, 2009, 02:10 PM   #11
JiminyGlock

Surfzombie, I ran across this post while searching for a manual for the Iver Johnson TP22. My TP22 did not come with a manual, and I would appreciate it greatly if you could send me a copy of your PDF manual. I have sent you a Private Message with my email address.

Thanks for the help!

Bob
Old May 4, 2009, 01:15 AM   #12
raftman

I have a similar problem with my IJ TP22, except in my case, the portion of the trigger guard at the very top, that is supposed to catch the slide, broke while firing, maybe it's metal fatigue, or just a design flaw. I don't have a manual for the gun, does anyone know the procedure for replacing the trigger guard?
Old May 4, 2009, 08:49 PM   #13
Dfariswheel

Not a very good picture but here's the Gun Parts Corp view of the TP.
Click on the picture to expand it.
http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...odel=0770zTP22

Basically, the TP trigger guard comes apart like the Walther PP series.

Press out the pin at the rear of the trigger guard and make sure you don't let the spring under it escape, it's strong.
Unlike the Walther, the TP doesn't have a plunger in the spring.

The problem is getting it back together. Strong hands help.
The pin that holds the trigger guard has a reduced section in it's center. This can make getting it back into place tough.
Best advice is to DON'T start hammering on it. If you do, you're likely to break off one of the frame lugs that hold the pin.
I suggest using strong hands to squeeze the trigger guard up into place and using a plastic screwdriver to tap the pin into place.
Don't get frustrated and get violent. It fits, but not easily some times.

As an aid, here's a view of the Walther PP series. This shows the reduced center pin and how it fits a little more clearly:

http://www.stevespages.com/ipb-walther-pp.html

The trigger guard pin is part 24. The TP has the spring, part 23, but NOT the plunger part 22.
Noite that Walther parts DON'T fit the TP.
Old May 5, 2009, 12:11 AM   #14
raftman

Sounds like a job best left to an expert.