The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 9, 2008, 12:13 AM   #1
ciunnc

Rifle ID help!

Hi All,
I am browsing around for a nice second rifle, and came across this on a gun shop website. Its listed as a Winchester Model 70 .243 Heavy varmint barrel wood stock.

Send an email to ask for more detail information on the rifle, the reply was

"This rifle is a mystery? The number on the action (BS4250) does not seem to be an original Winchester number though the barrel is clearly marked Winchester. The action is controlled feed and the condition of the stock, scope, mounts, bore of barrel and blueing is as new. I believe that the rifle has been a custom manufactured firearm and is a fine piece."

Any idea of the maker or whether is possibly a winchester that is not marked winchester. I may want to buy this rifle but i want to know as much about before commiting to it.

What area should i get them to check for marking to see whether it is a winchester or not. or other details i.e. floot plate release, bolt markings, left side open sight mounting holes. etc etc.

thanks guys.
Old April 9, 2008, 12:20 AM   #2
Darren007

I would ask them to take the scope mount off and look at the top of the receiver for any markings.
Old April 9, 2008, 12:24 AM   #3
jpwilly

I am almost certain that is a Winchester Mod 70 "Heavy Varminter" as you have said.
Old April 9, 2008, 12:27 AM   #4
Scorch

From the picture, I would definitely say it is a Winchester Model 70, or one of the variants. The action is Model 70 (note the hollow bolt handle), the safety is the standard 3-position Model 70 safety, stamped steel floorplate screams Model 70, and the marking on the barrel would indicate it is a Model 70. The butt plate has been replaced with a recoil pad (badly, I might add), so it has more than likely been cut at least 1/2"-3/4". The checkering has me confused, because the grip looks like mid-1970's checkering, but the forearm has no checkering (maybe because it is a target or varmint rifle), so the stock may have been redone at some point, but the finish looks good. I would say you are safe to assume it is a Model 70 or one of the variants Winchester produced.
Old April 9, 2008, 08:10 AM   #5
Jim Watson

The action looks like a Winchester, the barrel is marked Winchester, so I would be confident as accepting it as a Winchester barrelled action. The serial number is not appropriate for a pre '64, so if controlled feed (long external extractor like Mauser), it is likely a later "classic" action.

The stock is odd. It might be a Winchester Marksman stock as used on their target rifles, with the butt slimmed down slightly, a recoil pad (incorrectly) installed, and the pistol grip checkered. Or it might be aftermarket. Or it might be a variant I am not familiar with.

Strictly a shooter, value dependent on how much barrel life you think might be left in a second hand .243.
Old April 9, 2008, 09:43 AM   #6
ciunnc

thanks to those who have replied with much invaluable information.

I will be looking at this gun as a shooter, not so much a collectable, two of you stated that the recoil is incorrectly installed do you mean its installed incorrectly for a winchester pre64 gun or its just plain incorrectly installed?

I did checked serial numbers for Post 64 classic controlled feed winchester, they all should have a 'G' in front of the number and the number usually are pretty long 6 digits at least. This BS4250 i would think some one might have re-serialised it..or its just not the correct serial number but some quality control number or part number as no modern large manufacturer would have only 6digit serial number.
*edit* Could the rifle have been re-blue and the serial is actually 854250 (not BS4250)
Confusing, but interesting. have to try to obtain some closer shot of the action it self. will try to update.

Meanwhile, from i have read up, winchester .243 barrel are 1 in 10" twist. So what is everyone's pet load for this rifle... i prefer heavier projectile. i.e 80g to 100g.
I usually load ADI AR2208 which is the equivalent of Varget or IMR4064