The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 26, 2000, 01:11 AM   #1
Bottom Gun

Can anyone tell me if elk can see ultra violet fluorescence like deer supposedly can?
If so, does anyone know if military camo is free of UV brightners or how many washings with a non-brightning detergent it takes to get the brightners out of the fabric?
Thanks in advance for your help. Our season starts in a couple of weeks.
Old September 26, 2000, 02:37 AM   #2
internetfish

Bottom Gun,

Yes, I have heard that, like deer, they too can see UV. Deer see everything (supposedly) in bright blue that has not been treated in UV killer detergent. What I do, since I hunt only for deer (no elk here), is to wash my clothes once in UV killer and then again in just two cups of baking soda to kill all the smells associated with the laundy process. I let them air dry outside. If you wear scents with your clothing, like deer urine or estrus, then there will be no conflicting odors that may spook the animals. Animals are more sensitive than people give them credit for...way more sensitive, as I've sadly found out the hard way. You don't have to go overboard with the UV killer and scent thing, but be aware that deer can see colors (supposedly) and with that supposition, wear garments that have been treated and have no smell, and of course, don't brush your teeth or use any deodorant or after shave, as you probably know. They don't have to even see you to know you are in their back yard...they will smell you and be gone. I use the non-smell Arm and Hammer anti-persperant to keep from sweating when I'm in the field. I also kill the UV on all my clothes, to include my boots. There is a lot of research on this on various Web sites and in books. Good luck this season!
Old September 26, 2000, 09:35 AM   #3
Bottom Gun

Internetfish,

Thanks for the info and the good advice.
I want to try to do everything right since it has taken us a long time to get these elk tags. Getting drawn for elk in Arizona's lottery system isn't easy these days.
Thanks again.

BG
Old September 26, 2000, 12:32 PM   #4
BadMedicine

They make arm & hammer tooth paste ya know
Old September 27, 2000, 08:00 AM   #5
gunmart

i have herd that baking soda will just trap the scent into the fibers of the material .i have been told to only use sports type detergents on my hunting clothes.

here is a good hint.turn your hunting clothes inside out when washing.the tumbling in the washingmacine sure takes it tole on them
Old September 27, 2000, 12:40 PM   #6
gfrey

Sorry,

But I don't tumble dry any of my "delicates".

I use ORVIS paste to wash, it has no uv brighteners. (My mom put me onto this stuff, she uses it on her quilts) I find it at Farm and Fleet stores, usually in animal supplies area, I am guessing Tractor supply co. has it. I used about a tablespoon instead of detergent.

Hang dry, outside in the country, where possible.

I have a scent deoderizer (from backwoods) that I put on the clothes the night before hunting.

But then again, All the deer I have seen bowhunting this year where downwind and snorting, so who am I to give advice?

HTH and YMMV,
Gfrey