The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 20, 2017, 12:59 AM   #1
armoredman

I guess this isn't too bad.

Box of Sierra bullets I was gifted that were made before I was born, never opened, and nobody was looking for a collectible...so I loaded them. This load seems to do OK. My red dot is a 5MOA, so the entire bullseye is obscured at 100 yards.

Not too bad with a fat old man who can't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside.

The boy was out playing with his STG44 clone and having a blast. Totally NOT reloading related.

Old April 20, 2017, 08:16 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

If you want to shoot small groups at a 100yds using a red dot, it's easy. Shoot at a target with a larger white ring around the bullseye and simply center the dot in the white. I've shot lots of groups with my 1885 45-70 that were just over an inch using a 4moa red dot. You can do the same with a handgun. The type of target has a lot to do with how you use some types of sights. On my Sharps rifles, again in 45-70, I use two apertures. One on the front and one on the rear. I center the bullseye in the front aperture. I can shoot 1moa or less on a frequent basis.
Old April 20, 2017, 11:00 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Armoredman,

It looks like you meant to include a photo, but none is there. Use the Manage Attachments button below the composing window to add photos. If you want the photo in the body of the text, while you are in the Manage Attachments menu, under Current Attachments right click on the uploaded image and select to copy the link location. Back in the body of your post, click where you want the photo and then click on the little postcard icon at the top of the composition window and paste in the link you just copied.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 20, 2017, 01:40 PM   #4
mikld

With a large dot/sight, could you go to a 6:00 o'clock hold? I do for my Garand and all my handguns...
Old April 21, 2017, 04:23 AM   #5
armoredman

Unclenick, I have been using photobucket for years here, and for some reason it won't let me post from there anymore...no clue. Let me see if I got this one uploaded...

Aha, that worked. OK, now it all makes more sense, I hope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53gr SIE HP 100 yards BREN 2.jpg (90.0 KB, 267 views)
Old April 21, 2017, 04:26 AM   #6
armoredman

Lesse if this works with the picture of the boy having fun, wanted to show him off.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ricky online 4 19 17 3.jpg (193.3 KB, 253 views)
Old April 21, 2017, 04:27 AM   #7
armoredman

Anyone have any idea why Photobucket won't post here? No problem anywhere else.
Old April 21, 2017, 03:49 PM   #8
Reloadron

If I click on the tiny images in your very first post the images show just fine in the photo bucket album. They link just fine.

As to old bullets? I am pretty sure bullets have a real long shelf life.

While I don't have any 50 year old Sierra I have plenty of 25 year old boxes of Sierra. They shoot just fine and in 100 years I would venture a guess they would shoot just fine.

Ron
Old April 21, 2017, 10:25 PM   #9
armoredman

Yes indeed, it was just meant to show that Sierra still makes quality bullets like they used to.