The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 20, 2013, 08:52 PM   #1
KTB14

Kit gun questions???

I am completely new to bp and am trying to figure out the rifle to pick. I saw this Traditions St. Louis Hawken Black Powder Rifle Unassembled Kit 50 Caliber Percussion 1 in 48" Twist 28" Barrel in the White. Are they any good for the money. I am tryimg not to spend to much.[URL="http://www.midwayusa.com/product/346664/traditions-st-louis-hawken-black-powder-rifle-unassembled-kit-50-caliber-percussion-1-in-48-twist-28-barrel-in-the-white?cm_vc=S014"]
Old September 20, 2013, 09:12 PM   #2
Beagle333

Looks like used .50 Renegades are running from $160 to $225 on GunBroker. It's hard to go wrong with a Renegade for a shooter at a good price, and you'll be shooting the same day it arrives.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old September 20, 2013, 09:35 PM   #3
KTB14

I dont have anyone with a FFL around and it looks like the kits don't have to be shipped to one like stuff from gunbroker. Am i right there? This would be my first "registered" gun purchase so....

Plus i like to work on guns.
Old September 21, 2013, 12:40 AM   #4
pohill

That looks like a good kit gun. I built a kit rifle a few years ago that cost a lot less (around $100) but was definitely not a top of the line kit (plastic front sight, etc). That looks like a quality kit. If you like to work on guns they're a lot of fun. Like you said, no FFL needed, no registration. Some of the larger companies, Midway, Cabelas, etc will not ship to me in MA so check their policies.
Old September 21, 2013, 02:25 AM   #5
Doc Hoy

kTB

Welcome to the forum.

You came to the right place.
Old September 21, 2013, 06:45 AM   #6
Hawg

I wasn't aware Oregon required a bp rifle to be registered or an FFL required for delivery.
Old September 21, 2013, 06:54 AM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/New/1

Item: AAM-470

For the same price as a kit. But ready to take afield. As Beagle said: It's hard to go wrong having a Renegade.
The difference between Gun Brokers and Track of the Wolf is: Track has a reputation to protect being a store front B/P Retail Sales Business only. When it comes to Track's consignment firearms being sold they won't sell junk. All weapons are inspected in house first prior to their re-sale.
My suggestion. Buy a factory assembled rifle as your first rifle from David or John at Track. Why not enjoy your new shooting sport right from the get-go. As later on you can either build or better yet have a custom rifle built just for you.
Old September 21, 2013, 08:16 AM   #8
maillemaker

Just be careful. I was snuffling around Track's web site and found a pistol with this disclaimer:

"Unfired, the vent has been indicated, but has not been drilled, simplifying transport across borders. The breech plug is correctly threaded and snugly fitted, and the plug face has been relieved to clear the vent hole that you may drill. We can provide the #DRILL-1/16" drill bit at very low cost. This is an easy one minute job. "

Looks like they are selling those Indian/Pakistan imports that you can drill out yourself to try and use them as a gun. I personally would not use any object not manufactured to be a firearm as a firearm.

The Thomson Center Renegade under discussion is fine. Just be careful if you are looking at other things on their web site.

If you are new to BP, I'd also recommend going with a ready-to-go gun before getting into kits.

Steve
Old September 21, 2013, 02:31 PM   #9
Pahoo

Welcome and hope you get hooked !!!

Quote:
For the same price as a kit. But ready to take afield. As Beagle said: It's hard to go wrong having a Renegade.
Many good and logical replies in here and unless you are dead set on putting a kit together, I would also go with an assembled gun and start getting hooked. I've been hooked for many years now and did not put any kits together until many years later. I actually started out, making repairs and refurbishing them. I don't know you but feel that you will have a better appreciation after a time .....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 21, 2013, 10:48 PM   #10
KTB14

Thanks, sounds like some good advice. Anyone get bullets online and if so were?
Old September 21, 2013, 10:58 PM   #11
Beagle333

Track of the Wolf can get you going.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old September 21, 2013, 11:04 PM   #12
KTB14

Thanks i will let you guys know what i end up with and how it goes.
Old September 22, 2013, 08:45 PM   #13
Captchee

Quote:
Looks like they are selling those Indian/Pakistan imports that you can drill out yourself to try and use them as a gun. I personally would not use any object not manufactured to be a firearm as a firearm.
the piece may or may not be an import it just depends
the reason for that is that unless the gun was a mass produced kit , its not going to have a drilled flash hole .
doesn’t mater if the barrel is a GM , Colerian , Rice , Getz....... non drill the flash hole . its the last thing that gets done for a lot of builders
Old September 23, 2013, 10:19 PM   #14
DD4lifeusmc

gun

I see some one suggested oregon in their post.
Tone of the places to go in Oregon is
the gun works.
They are pretty much dedicated to BP.
They have some kit, and new assembled and some used.
Sometimes they are a little pricey, but they also have
knowledgeable staff.
Remember you get what you pay for.
So don't go the cheap route unless you abxolutely have too.
Old September 25, 2013, 02:07 PM   #15
brazosdave

I don't know brother, I live my life going the cheap route and you'd be surprised at some of the guns I got cheap, lol!