The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 8, 2009, 01:11 PM   #51
MTT TL

I think that "30 is about the maximum before the drag from the barrel would slow the round down, although I could be wrong. Being a shorter barrel does not make the round fly a shorter distance, unless it is really short (NFA short), merely makes it more handy for HD, IMO. I think the real issue is this, luckily we have so many people to help out with that.
Old November 8, 2009, 02:58 PM   #52
killoften

I just bought some "pitbull" rounds. A slug sitting a-top 6 #00 buck pellets!
Best of both worlds. The shot pellets must rob some of the velocity from the slug, and the spread inside home distances should be more than average because of the pellets being crammed behind the slug are gonna wanna get from behind it. So now he's getting a massive penatrating hit, and a spread load hit around that wound all at once. Nasty. I sure wouldnt want that done to me.

what say you?
Old November 8, 2009, 05:36 PM   #53
dabigguns357

So basicly it's a toss up between slugs,buckshot and bird shot,anyone will work.This is good to know.
Old November 9, 2009, 06:32 PM   #54
Kmar40

Numerous threads on birdshot and it's ineffectiveness. I won't rehash here. If you care enough to educate yourself, the search button is yours.
Old November 10, 2009, 11:26 PM   #55
dabigguns357

Quote:
birdshot and it's ineffectiveness
and thats why i use slugs,you will never hear of ineffectiveness.Whats the difference in say a .45 or .357 and a shotgun slug other than the size of your lead.All are single pieces of lead and no one complains.
Old November 11, 2009, 12:11 PM   #56
ADB

Quote:
Numerous threads on birdshot and it's ineffectiveness.
Based upon anecdotes. In reality, against a human target at home defense range, ANY 12 gauge shell is almost certainly going to be lethal.

killoften, I believe those are often referred to as "buck and ball" loads, mixing a slug with shot. They were popular for use at short range as far back as the Revolutionary War.
Old November 13, 2009, 05:41 PM   #57
DG45

I don't think any jury would convict someone of a crime if he fired in defense of his life and home at a home invader inside his house, regardless that his slug exited his home and injured or killed someone else. I think most people would understand that the real criminal who caused it was the criminal who broke in. There may be a few people who get off by being common scolds who would say otherwise, but unless you were unlucky enough to be represented by a public defender, your lawyer would probably quickly get rid of those from your jury.

I for one ,would be willing to join in with a political effort to try to remove from office any over-reaching District Attorney who attempted to prosecute a citizen on this basis.
Old November 13, 2009, 06:13 PM   #58
Bill DeShivs

Criminally, you probably wouldn't be held liable.
Civilly, you would be a pauper for the rest of your life.
Civil court has a whole different set of rules.
Old November 14, 2009, 03:23 PM   #59
rc

If you want to use a solid projectile for home defense, you better tone it down a bit and get a 30 carbine with hollow points, or a 45 colt carbine, or a 44 magnum carbine and load hollow points. A 12 guage slug has way too much mass, speed and penetration for me to even consider using it unless it was the last resort. There are far more practical options for home defense. And even if you discarged in self defense, any bystander injurry due to the use of a slug will not be looked at favorably.. Personally, I think that would be irresponsible and hard to defend in court. Lawyers can twist anything you did into some evil intent. Buckshot is debatable and birdshot, defensible in court. Gee, I just grabbed my pheasant hunting gun to investigate crashing outside and this nut burst into the room so I gave hime a load of birdshot to the chest to protect myself. With a slug a slick lawyer might argue your actions were cruel and unusual and irresponsibly endangered bystanders. Intent may be perceived very differently depending on what load you use. The question is was it justiafiable to 12 in the jurry....