The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 24, 2008, 09:52 AM   #1
DaveInPA

Need serious help seating/crimping Hornady .45 ACP JHPs!

I've been attempting to load some Hornady 200gr XTP JHP bullets for my .45 ACP and have been having major issues.

These are the bullets in question (Third from the top):
https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_ses...58b4c83a69f1d3

Here's what happening. The bullets do not seat/crimp firmly in the case. They fail the bench test every time (if I place the bullet on the bench and push on the back of the cartridge, the bullet seats deep into the case). What OAL and crimp should be used? Should these bullets be seated so that some of the flat part of the bullet before the shoulder is sticking out of the case, or should the case mouth be crimped at the shoulder? I crimp my rounds to .469-.470 so I don't think my crimp is too loose.

If anyone has loaded any of these bullets before I would really appreciate any help!
Old March 24, 2008, 09:58 AM   #2
cdrt

Not sure why you're having the problem. I taper crimp this type of bullet and set the taper crimp for .472 and it works just time. Usually crimp just below the shoulder, so some is exposed. I'm using WCC brass.
Navy Vet, SWIFT Boat OIC, Distinguished Pistol Shot #1399
USS JOHN S. MCCAIN (DDG-36)
Old March 24, 2008, 10:48 AM   #3
drail

Measure the diameter of your expander plug in the flare die. If it's not two thousandths less than your bullet diameter you won't have sufficient case neck tension to firmly hold the bullet. Crimping has a small role in securing the bullet. A lot of expander plugs I have checked expand the neck too much. If this happens no amount of crimp will secure the bullet. The plug can be chucked in a drill and turned down to whatever diameter you need.
Old March 24, 2008, 10:51 AM   #4
DaveInPA

I have no problems loading other .451 bullets, like regular 230gr FMJ, 185gr JSWC etc. Would that cross out the possibility of something being wrong with the expander die?
Old March 24, 2008, 10:55 AM   #5
TexasSeaRay

Back off the flaring a bit--you're case mouth is getting widened too much.

Quote:
I have no problems loading other .451 bullets, like regular 230gr FMJ, 185gr JSWC etc.
And never compare apples to oranges. In reloading, different bullets, even if they are the same caliber, need to be configured per the bullet. Rarely is there a "one-size fits all" setting for your dies, other than decapping/sizing.

If you change bullets, get ready to change your die settings. It's just like starting over from scratch.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old March 24, 2008, 03:56 PM   #6
drail

+1 on backing off the flaring a bit.
Old March 24, 2008, 08:22 PM   #7
Eric M.

I've had great accuracy using this bullet with 6.4gr of W-231 with an OAL of 1.230".
I use a Lee taper crimp, and have had no problems.

This load is for my Taurus PT 1911 and my Kimber Custom Target II.

You might want to check my figures to see of they work for you, but this will give you some idea of how they should be reloaded.

I load many different types of bullets and different weights for my 45ACP's.
Every bullet has totally different OAL's, and powder charges.
Every bullet has been worked up SLOWLY on the powder charge, and shot at the range.
Like the guys said, different bullets will have different settings.

Good Luck,

Eric
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor 37 yrs
Old March 24, 2008, 08:41 PM   #8
DaveInPA

Well guys, I'm an idiot. When I started playing around with these bullets I was making dummy rounds with no powder. The problem is, I took once fired brass straight to the flaring die, then the bullet seating die, then the crimp die. I NEVER RAN THE BRASS THROUGH THE RESIZING DIE! Therefore, the brass was sized wrong, and wouldn't hold the bullets.

I ran them through the resizing/decapping die first this time, and what do you know? The bullets stay put just fine.

*smacks self in head*
Old March 24, 2008, 10:12 PM   #9
Eric M.

But just think Dave, even though you kinda goofed up, you didn't just go and run them wrong, you asked questions, and finally figured it out.

We all have had our head up you know where at times.

Glad that you figured it out.

Eric
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor 37 yrs
Old March 24, 2008, 10:27 PM   #10
TexasSeaRay

You learn more, quicker, by making mistakes. Even a blind squirrel can occasionally find a nut.

However, in the world of reloading, mistakes aren't always so easily forgiven--hence the utility and value of forums like these.

What I wouldn't have given to have had access to a forum like this when I first began reloading.

Unfortunately, not only was the internet not around, but personal computers cost more than HK machine guns.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old March 24, 2008, 10:33 PM   #11
DonR101395

Like has been said back off on the flair a bit. I've also gone to Lee factory crimp dies. They work great and are very consistant.
Old March 25, 2008, 06:40 AM   #12
Master Blaster

Back off the belling die, and decrease your crimp to .471.
Old March 25, 2008, 07:19 AM   #13
DaveInPA

You can always tell when people don't read the responses before posting
Old March 25, 2008, 06:55 PM   #14
ForneyRider

Quote:
You can always tell when people don't read the responses before posting.
I use that Dillon case gage for testing.

I have used Hornady 230gr JHP/XTP and Hornady 230gr FMJ and get .469-.471 diameter around the bullet area.

I am using the Lee deluxe pistol dies.

I went off the Lee videos for adjusting the dies. The FCD I have at about 3/4 turn. I think 1/2 is the minimum suggested in the video.

The brass is mixed. Winchester, Remington, Fiocchi. I bought in bulk most of the Winchester ones.

Aside: the Fiocchi is much tighter in the primer pocket.

Last edited by ForneyRider; March 25, 2008 at 07:06 PM. Reason: doh!
Old March 25, 2008, 06:56 PM   #15
Forwardassist

I had a similar problem with some 185 JHP bullets. I use mostly Hornady dies, and barely use the expander. It turned out not to be a bullet or die issue it seems it only happened with the Remington brass. I had no issues with other brands of brass. I do not know the reason since I have used Remington brass in other calibers without issue, but that batch of .45ACP brass was crap.
Old March 25, 2008, 07:01 PM   #16
drail

+1 on Remington brass. They make nice shotguns and lousy brass.
Old March 26, 2008, 01:58 PM   #17
dodgestdshift

Whenever a cartridge fails the "push" test, first suspect the sizing step, and if that is ok (which I doubt) suspect the brass or bullet. The crimp is not meant to hold the bullet from moving into the powder space, in the 45 ACP it is to remove the flair of the case so it will feed. In a revolver it is used to keep the bullet from backing OUT of the case (increasing OAL) under recoil.

Don N.

Last edited by dodgestdshift; March 27, 2008 at 10:04 AM.