The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2005, 12:53 AM   #1
m0ntels

K31 OAL / Seating questions

Have loaded pistol for a few months now and am ready to move into rifle. The K31 seems to be an interesting round to load. I've found plenty of charge weights for the powder I'm using, IMR-4064, and I'm using 165gr bullets. The questions I have relate to seating the bullet for this rifle.

None of the pages were I see load data do they list an OAL. I saw a few with a max length of 3.060, and I measured a round of GP-11 I have sitting around and that was 3.045.

The bullets I am using will be 165gr Remington Cre-Lokt soft points. I picked these as they were the cheapest I saw, so I figured it'd be ok if I messed up a few learning to load this round, and I also have used them as long as I've been hunting. Looking at the profile of the 2 bullets (Rema nd GP-11), they seem to be similar and if i match up the curve of the bullets, the cannelure lines up to the lip of the case. This makes the OAL about .010 short of the GP-11 length. Is actual seating depth more important than OAL? If crimped at the cannelure, it seems the base of the bullet would be right at the shoulder.

The only real instructions I've read to seat rifle bullets is to load a dummy round and back it off a bit from the rifling. This would leave the cannelure way out of the case, and I would imagine would drop the pressure and make me need a higher charge and possibly have the OAL be too large for the mag.

Can someone guide me a little more in the right direction? Also, should I even crimp these rounds at all? I could just load spitzer bullets to have the same shape as GP-11 and make them identical lengths, but I would mind hunting with the Swiss and would like the ability to load to do so.

BTW...post #100! Woohoo!

Randy
Old February 11, 2005, 06:41 PM   #2
WisconsinDave

K31 load info

Go to this site and look under the "handloading" section. I think you will find the answers you are looking for.
http://p077.ezboard.com/bparallaxscu...firearmsforums
You may want to check out the "Straight-pull rifle forum" on the same site for more info on your k31.

Dave
Old February 11, 2005, 09:30 PM   #3
m0ntels

Thanks, I think I got it now. There is a bunch of stuff over there, and I scoured a few other sites and made a nice .XLS file for the 165gr bullets I'll be using.

Does anyone else think 4064 smells really good?

Randy
Old February 11, 2005, 10:25 PM   #4
WisconsinDave

No problem....Are you pleased with the accuracy of the K31 rifle? Where did you purchase it at? I have one and i plan on buying at least one more.

Dave
Old February 11, 2005, 11:36 PM   #5
m0ntels

My K31 is my favorite rifle. Not that I have that many yet, but I've shot quite a few 30 cals. I shoot at targets I print out, so they are 8x11 sheets of paper and at 100yds it isnt rare for me to connect holes with open sights. I've outshot my friend and brother when they were using scopes. It's the one gun I have that makes me look like I have some skills.

I got it at Surplus City in Feasterville. Paid $125 and it's the best gun money I ever laid down. Now they have them for $89 but the stocks are kinda ugly as far as grain goes. I have a beech and want a walnut to go with it.

I got the rest of the parts I need to assemble my m38 Swede and cant wait to see how that does. That's supposed to be a straight shooter too.

Randy