The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 10, 2020, 12:59 AM   #26
TruthTellers

I love the SR22, I feel it's the perfect size and weight for a .22 LR pistol and giving it a DA trigger adds to the confidence for carrying it in case of a light primer strike.

The Mark pistols I find are cumbersome and needlessly heavy, not to mention low capacity. I got the Kel Tec CP33 last month and it weighs half what the Mark IV's do and olds 3 times as many rounds in the mag.
Old July 10, 2020, 03:52 AM   #27
wmg1299

I trained my sons and their cousins on the SR22. Those boys have probably put 5000 rounds through that gun with the only issues most likely being due to cheap bulk ammo. Even when I feed it the cheap stuff, the SR22 functions with impressive reliability.

I liked the SR22 so much I just picked up an LCP II LR. The LCP does not seem to like bulk ammo and had issues with Federal bulk. However, Ruger makes it clear that the gun is designed for high-velocity rounds. It ran flawlessly with CCI Mini-Mags. I don't have any experience with other .22 lr semi-autos, but I have been satisfied with the Rugers.
Old July 10, 2020, 09:32 AM   #28
jman841

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
I love the SR22, I feel it's the perfect size and weight for a .22 LR pistol and giving it a DA trigger adds to the confidence for carrying it in case of a light primer strike.

The Mark pistols I find are cumbersome and needlessly heavy, not to mention low capacity. I got the Kel Tec CP33 last month and it weighs half what the Mark IV's do and olds 3 times as many rounds in the mag.
That CP33 looks really cool/fun. Have to agree, it's annoying having a 10 round magazine in a .22 lr.

What did you pay for it? Curious as to waht the street price on them were.
Old July 10, 2020, 12:00 PM   #29
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I think you need to really step up to do better. The Smith 41 is nicer in my opinion, but a lot more money.
"Nicer" yes, what ever that is supposed to mean. But better designed, as the OP stated, no way.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 10, 2020, 12:04 PM   #30
Spats McGee
Staff

I've got a few Marks and I never seem to get tired of them.
Old July 10, 2020, 12:14 PM   #31
stinkeypete

The design of the older Mark pistols is rubbish! Only a mechanical genius or gunsmith can get them back together after cleaning them! Clearly this makes them worth hundreds of dollars less than the brand new ones! Since I am a good guy and old enough to be trained in arcane arts such as changing my own oil, dressing a pheasant, riding a horse and reassembling a Ruger .22 I will take it off your hands at a substantial discount.

You're welcome.

*Note: The above post is intended to convey sarcasm as the author sees little problem in reassembling the older models although the new models are much more convenient. As Cheapshooter says, no way is it a great design, but it is a CLASSIC design.
Old July 10, 2020, 01:19 PM   #32
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman841 View Post
That CP33 looks really cool/fun. Have to agree, it's annoying having a 10 round magazine in a .22 lr.

What did you pay for it? Curious as to waht the street price on them were.
I got it online for 377. Everywhere else it was $425 or more. Decided it wasn't going to get cheaper than 377 for many years (if ever) and figured I had waited long enough.
Old July 10, 2020, 01:21 PM   #33
DaleA

Quote:
The design of the older Mark pistols is rubbish! Only a mechanical genius or gunsmith can get them back together after cleaning them!
HAH! That's rubbish. Three of the staff at my gun club back in the late 1960's were able to reassemble a Ruger Mark .22lr in less than FOUR MONTHS. I was there and contributed!
Old July 10, 2020, 02:42 PM   #34
HighValleyRanch

Like the old question....
"How many gun club members does it take to.........!