The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 29, 2020, 08:13 PM   #1
RAfiringline

These Weaver rings sturdy enough for a 308 ?

I installed a Redfield 2 piece rail that says it's for a Weaver setup, on a 308 rifle.

The picatinny rings I have don't look like they fit quite right so I got a couple Weaver 49196 rings.

Do these things look sturdy enough for a 308? They look scrawny to me.

I'll be using a 4x scope that weighs about 11 ozs., and just regular 308 loads.

Thanks
weaver rings 49196.JPG
Old June 29, 2020, 08:58 PM   #2
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAfiringline View Post
I installed a Redfield 2 piece rail that says it's for a Weaver setup, on a 308 rifle.

The picatinny rings I have don't look like they fit quite right so I got a couple Weaver 49196 rings.

Do these things look sturdy enough for a 308? They look scrawny to me.

I'll be using a 4x scope that weighs about 11 ozs., and just regular 308 loads.

Thanks
Attachment 111722
Yes and no. They are plenty strong for the 308 recoil, but they are not going to stand abuse from handling very well.
Warne, Weaver Grand Slam, and Burris Zee are all good Weaver rings. There are many more, but those are the ones I have used a lot.
Old June 29, 2020, 10:30 PM   #3
Polinese

I like the warne rings myself if i'm not doing something like Badger Ordnance for a precision rifle. I did like some of the new offerings from Leupold as well.

What scope did you end up getting?
Old June 30, 2020, 07:34 AM   #4
cw308

I guess it depends on what your using your 308 for . Hunting they'll be OK but for target shooting , better to invest in a good set of rings and base. Then again it depends how far down the rabbit hole you want to go, if your into accuracy, then fasten your seat belt.
Old June 30, 2020, 11:09 AM   #5
Bart B.

I've used cheap Bushnell aluminum and steel Weaver rings wearing out several 30 caliber magnum barrels on long range target rifles and had no problems.

Note aluminum scope tubes are more susceptible to problems than super duty steel rings and bases. Their ends whip and wiggle just like barrels when rifles fire.

Last edited by Bart B.; June 30, 2020 at 11:42 AM.
Old June 30, 2020, 04:02 PM   #6
jmr40

I wouldn't worry about the strength. But those are pretty cheap rings and I might question the precision. I don't think it is necessary to purchase some of the $100+ rings out there either and I'd avoid anything with dovetail's like the plague.

The Burris Z rings and original Weaver rings with steel straps on them are plenty strong, well made and won't break the bank. I also like the Talley Lightweight or DNZ rings where the lower ring is part of the base.

Winston Churchill
Old June 30, 2020, 04:47 PM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

If not a Guide service. Maybe U sighting in your 308 a few times a year for fun & giggles? those Weavers products will do just fine.
Tip: Use a slight amount of (Blue) Loctite on the ring screws >final tightening<
BTW: Weaver company has been around a long~long time. (1930)
Old July 13, 2020, 03:43 PM   #8
langenc

Shpuld do just fine. Dont overtighten. I used to torque as tight as I could but no more.

Ive always used a drop of fingernail polish on rings/mounts and never had on come loose. Clean screws and the holes they go into w/ brakecleaner, non chlorinated.

Have a 1903 w/ Redfield one piece mount that one of the rear screws broke, once, but no screws ever came loose.
Old July 14, 2020, 08:42 PM   #9
Shadow9mm

They should work, just don't over tighten. Personally I like the Leupold rifleman rings, worked great on a couple rifles so far including my 30-06.
Old July 14, 2020, 10:13 PM   #10
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
They should work, just don't over tighten. Personally I like the Leupold rifleman rings, worked great on a couple rifles so far including my 30-06.
I bent two sets of rifleman rings. I only use Steel rings and forged aluminum rings now.
Old July 15, 2020, 10:33 AM   #11
Pahoo

Agree !!!

Quote:
Yes and no. They are plenty strong for the 308 recoil, but they are not going to stand abuse from handling very well.
Warne, Weaver Grand Slam, and Burris Zee are all good Weaver rings. There are many more, but those are the ones I have used a lot.
That would be my feeling as well and have done worse but now do better .....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 15, 2020, 07:09 PM   #12
stagpanther

weaver bases and rings are what I get only when nothing else is available. I know some of the best shooters on this forum use them--more power to them.
Old July 15, 2020, 07:16 PM   #13
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
weaver bases and rings are what I get only when nothing else is available. I know some of the best shooters on this forum use them--more power to them.
You referring to Weaver brand or weaver style?
Old July 16, 2020, 09:26 AM   #14
stagpanther

weaver brand.
Old July 16, 2020, 11:58 AM   #15
Don Fischer

Probably will fall off in pieces. Weaver plans it that way so you have to come buy another set of rings! Isn't that a silly question? Why would any company make a product that wouldn't work? I had a set of Tasco aluminum rings years ago and couldn't get rid of them fast enough. They worked fine but were the most butt ugly thing's I ever saw! As for weaver, seem's to me they used to be steel rings, steel is stronger than aluminum and don't have to be as heavy. Rings actually only do one thing, they hold your scope in place, that's it. Don't care how much you pay for them or how great someone says they are, in the end, all they do is hold your scope in place!
Old July 16, 2020, 09:35 PM   #16
Metal god

I’ll answer the question this way . I had the same set on my 308 Ruger American with a $35 Tasco scope . I loved out shooting guys at the range with rigs that cost 4x as much . The scope and rings never failed me for several hundred rounds .

That said , every shot I fired I fully excepted the scope to go flying off . Although they never failed I never had any confidence in them or the scope . When the time and price was right I switched to Leupold rings and a Nikon scope and now I have no Reservations on how the firearm will perform . In fact I took it out and shot it just yesterday for the first time in maybe a year , I forgot how much really light rifles kick But it was still zeroed and shot just fine .

So yes they will work but I personally wouldn’t count on them and didn’t .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 17, 2020, 09:17 AM   #17
Don Fischer

You wouldn't count on rings that have never failed you?
Old July 17, 2020, 10:46 AM   #18
Metal god

Nope just like I wouldn’t count on that $35 scope . Then again maybe “count on” has multiple meanings . Would I count on them to make it through a range trip where the gun is pretty much treated like a queen , sure I guess . Would I count on them deep in the woods of Montana to save my life , nope . That rifle has no other sights so if any part of the optic system fails it’s paperweight-ish

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; July 18, 2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old July 17, 2020, 11:06 AM   #19
Pahoo

Agree !!!

Quote:
Would I count on them deep in the woods of Montana to save my life , nope .
Nor would I .......

Be Safe !!!
Old July 18, 2020, 05:14 PM   #20
Paul B.

I've used mostly Weaver and Weaver style rings for years. Never had a problem. Scopes are another story, I've had three Leupolds turn toes up on me. Two, thankfully were at the range The third was on an elk hunt. I got a shot at a stand elk out in the open and when I shot the elk went down. As this was a loge shot (350 yards) I took a high chest to drop the bullet into the lungs. The elk went down and when I looked could see no bullet hole. We discovered that the bullet hit at the base of the skull and I was positive I hadn't flinched or jerked the trigger. A few days after coming back home I took the rifle to the range and it was shooting all over the place. I boxed it up and sent it back to be repaired. About two weeks later I got it back and noted what had to be done. They literally replace the entire erector system for the windage and elevation. Now the .35 Whelen is not all that bad recoil wise but it sure did mangle the internals of that scope. BTW, it was mounted with a Leupold base and rings. I have a Burris fullfield on the rifle now and so far it's holding up just fine.
Paul B.
Old July 19, 2020, 07:54 AM   #21
cw308

Metal
Great explanation of " count on "