The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 12, 2019, 10:21 AM   #1
Roamin_Wade

Rifled slugs and Sabot slugs

The slugs that are without a Sabot have angled striations down the length of the slug that are meant to impart a spin on the slug out of a smooth bore. Can those be shot out of a rifled barrel? If so, are rifled barrels and different brand rifled slugs rifled to work together? Said another way, does the angled rifling on the slug impart a spin in the opposite direction of rifled barrels? Do different brand rifled shotgun barrels all get made in the same direction as well as all manufacturers of rifled slugs get made in the same direction for this very dynamic I’m curious about?

Which Gauge would any of you reading this prefer to deer hunt with for both rifled slugs as well as Sabot slugs? I’m leaning towards 20 Gauge for both.

Thanks...
Old February 12, 2019, 11:28 AM   #2
peterg7

I didn’t know what shotgun accuracy was until I tried a 20 gauge ultra slughunter, as for the Fosters those fins are to swag down for tight choke the spin thing is well just spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 12, 2019, 11:44 AM   #3
Doyle

The angled "fins" on a foster slug are not to provide spin. If you look at slow-motion footage of a slug in flight you'll see that.

Shoot foster (rifled) slugs out of a smooth bore and sabot slugs out of a rifled barrel. The Brenneke KO slugs tend to bridge the gap and seem to function well out of either.

As to gauge, the 12ga will give you better downrange perfomance.
Old February 12, 2019, 12:01 PM   #4
Yankee Doodle

Brenneke 2 3/4' KO out of a Rem. 870 with 18" riot barrel & red dot sight has permitted me to easily take deer out to 75 yards. Clean 'em up, and invite them home for dinner.
Old February 12, 2019, 01:34 PM   #5
MarkCO

If I was going to buy a slug gun purely for hunting deer, it would be a rifled 20g without a doubt.
Old February 12, 2019, 01:49 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Read this. https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box...-bore-barrels/
Old February 12, 2019, 06:58 PM   #7
Drm50

I had to hunt in Ohio with slugs until a few years ago we got limited rifle. I was always building the perfect slug gun. This was before you saw many factory slug guns. I built them
out of everything you can think of. I bought a 870 slug gun in 66. Still have it but never liked it. Any decent factory smooth bore with Foster slugs will do 3" at 100yds. I shot a Brn A5 that I cut and put sights on. I shot Brenneke in it and it would do less than 3" at 100yds.
When rifled barrels came out I got a couple and put scopes on them. Shooting sabots they
would out shoot smooth bores but not enough that it excited me. I've shot a lot of deer at
100yds and about a dozen 125-150yds with smooth bore ans Brennekes. And many at 75 to
100yds with fosters. I bought my wife a 1100Lt slug in early 80s and she had no trouble getting her deer with it. Her shots were 30-50yds. Off hand the only benifit of sabots is the
range. I've seen 200yd targets shot with sabots and rifles barrel that were impressive. If
most of your shots are going to be 100yds and under I would stick with smooth bore. As far as 12g or 20g either one will fold up a deer. I still have 3 slug guns but they are now retired
since we can use rifle.
Old February 13, 2019, 03:34 PM   #8
Roamin_Wade

This is what I want to do with a 20 Gauge.

https://youtu.be/mD6ZBruKXGI
Old February 13, 2019, 03:36 PM   #9
Roamin_Wade

So easy to post a link but hard as hell to post a picture from my phone. I just don’t get it...
Old February 13, 2019, 04:07 PM   #10
Doyle

Quote:
So easy to post a link but hard as hell to post a picture from my phone. I just don’t get it...
Because this forum does not host pictures. You have to use a pic hosting site and embed the URL into your post.
Old February 13, 2019, 04:08 PM   #11
Doyle

Wade, I just noticed you are in Tx. Why would you want to handicap yourself with a slug when there are so many better options.
Old February 13, 2019, 04:56 PM   #12
Drm50

What Doyle says: I had to hunt slugs in Ohio. I also hunted out of state every year. Pa, WVa and Virginia mostly. All rifle states. When hunting with slugs after you have rifle hunted makes you feel like a surgeon with boxing gloves. Unless I was limited to slugs I would not
use them. I still have my slug guns but don't plan on using them anymore. Will be happy if
I never fire another slug in hunting mode. Another observation I have made is if you are going to rifled barrel you have to go sabots to get advantage over smooth bore. A Foster slug and smooth bore will be cheaper to shoot and smooth bore gun can shoot shot & buck.
Rifled barrels only use are sabots.
Old February 13, 2019, 05:07 PM   #13
Stubert

I have a 20 gauge Savage 220 slug gun. It will keep 5 shots of Barnes 3" 275 gr. expanders under 2" at 100 yds.