The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 12, 2007, 06:12 PM   #1
O.S.O.K.

New cnb follows me home - new 58

Never thought I'd get a 58 with adjustable sights - but there it is

I was going to buy a short barrelled version with fixed sights but got to thinking that the adjustable sighted version would really be fun for long range shooting - especially after the sales clerk brought it out with the ohter one.

The trigger was creepy and stagey when I tried it, so I took it apart and polished all the contact points - put it back together and applied some anti-seize lube as well. It's pretty nice now - breaks cleanly.

I'm looking forward to trying this out with some Lee conicals that I cast the other day.

I really like the way the cylinder comes out - no messing with the barrel key. And its a lot more "sveldt" than I thought.

I still like my colt models, but this is nice.
Old April 12, 2007, 09:13 PM   #2
Phantom Captain

Wow! Nice!

Crazy how they do that isn't it? Just up and follow you home.

I am awaiting a full report AND comparison to the Colt's once you warm her up. You are a bad bad influence, had me browsing a very pretty stainless model and thinking, hmmm, now that's not a bad price.

I've always loved my Colt's though, never really shot anything besides them in cap and ball. They are the ones that have always drawn me. The open top, the lines, the engraved cylinders, the wedge, etc. I must say though the stainless 58 I was looking at certainly was pretty.

Go away O.S.O.K!!! LOL. Or at least stop posting your pictures!!

Last edited by Phantom Captain; April 13, 2007 at 10:00 AM.
Old April 13, 2007, 09:30 AM   #3
Fred_Fred

Same one I have. Mine is the Pietta with target sights. Still working on the loads - haven't been able to shoot for almost 2 weeks due to rain/cold/work etc. The ram on mine doesn't seat the ball very far into the chamber so anything less than 30gr and a wad, I have to use filler...

Let us know how it goes!

Regards.
Old April 13, 2007, 01:39 PM   #4
O.S.O.K.

pics and temptation

hey, I know how it is - how do you think I ended up with this?

Yeah, I've heard about needing to load them with full power or use extra wads or filler - no problem, that's the only way to fly!