The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 15, 2019, 01:16 PM   #1
Prof Young

Tell me about Stoeger Coachgun.

Tell me about your Stoeger Coachgun in 12 ga. I'm thinking about getting one just for the fun of shooting it.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old April 15, 2019, 09:07 PM   #2
Targa

I hope someone with first hand experience responds to you. I have always thought about one for the same reason as you, I probably handle one once a month at Cabelas.
Old April 17, 2019, 01:39 AM   #3
10-96

I picked up one (Delux Model) several years ago, maybe around 2006? Anyway, I haven't put just a ton of shells through it, but it's been a darn good little shotgun. Mine has the screw in chokes that seem to be very similar to Win-Chokes. It has the double triggers which I like. For a short barreled little dumplin, it points good and both barrels seem to be well aligned. I haven't done whatever shotgunners call a group test, but whatever it is- it's good enough for me.

Just before I picked up my Stoeger, a friend picked up a Baikal (sp?) Coachgun (Russian made). I don't know how the Russians drill and tap holes, but we had to re-do a couple of his and go with oversized screws for the hinge pin retaining screws. There's way more quality in the Stoegers.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old April 17, 2019, 07:41 AM   #4
darkgael

coach

Not a 12 gauge. I do have a .410 Stoeger Coach gun. It is a handy little item, though it is a bit heavy for a .410. Probably not an issue with a 12 ga.
Old April 17, 2019, 02:00 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Made in Brazil and imported by Stoeger. Come with 2.75/3" chambers at 6.5 lbs.(Friggin' thing would hurt using 3"), fixed IC/M chokes(flush or extended tubes are an option), 20" barrel(perfect for upland birds and rabbits) and double or single triggers. Very popular with the CAS guys. Isn't stupid expensive either.
"...just for the fun of shooting it..." Pretty much what the CAS guys think.
Old April 17, 2019, 02:24 PM   #6
RetiredMajor

I picked up a used one at a LGS about 3 years ago. The owner said it wasn't the Deluxe model but it had the rubber butt pad, and removable chokes. It looked almost new. Mine does not have double hammers but has one trigger that fires first one barrel and then a second trigger pull fires the other barrel. It works well but the recoil is stout. I like the size and the heft of it. It feels sturdy and the workmanship is OK. I got it for a steal and am very happy with it.
Old April 17, 2019, 04:34 PM   #7
dreaming

I frequently shoot skeet with a guy who loves to shoot his 12 gauge Stoeger coach gun and he is good with it. He uses 3/4 ounce loads and every now and then intentionally lets fly both barrels. It is a nickel plated double trigger model. He had to smooth off a lot of rough spots with a file, but he really likes it.

My regular shooting buddy ordered his own coach gun, after trying that Stoeger. He isn't getting a Stoeger and is paying more, but he has the scratch for what he wants. It is due to arrive soon.
Old April 17, 2019, 05:02 PM   #8
Nanuk

I had one for CAS. Great lil double. Invest in stainless steel firing pins...
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.