The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 1, 2014, 01:03 AM   #1
Gaz_in_NZ

Just bought my first Black Powder Gun.

Haven't shot it yet, that will be on Sunday.
Bought an Uberti Walker .44 and have 2 Uberti Remington 1858's in .44 on order to pick up next week (one for me and one for my son).

Bloody hell, that Walker is a big iron when you put it next to the Uberti Richards-Mason 1851 navy conversion in .38Spec that I bought at the same time and it makes my Colt Huntsman look like a toy.

Can't wait to shoot it, might not fill the cylinder to the max just yet as 60grains sounds like a lot.

Cheers
Gaz
Old May 1, 2014, 01:26 AM   #2
hartcreek

Fill it

I shot my Uberti Walker with 50 grains of FFF last week and I used #11 caps.

No recoil. You will have to play with the wedge adjustment but with 50 grains the loading lever even stayed in place.
Old May 1, 2014, 04:22 AM   #3
Hawg

Quote:
You will have to play with the wedge adjustment
Whatever for? Uberti's have a nasty habit of making the arbors too short but with a short arbor driving the wedge in too deep closes up the cylinder gap, sometimes to the point of locking it up. The wedge should be just past flush on the off side. Fix the arbor problem and the depth of the wedge has no effect on cylinder gap.
Old May 1, 2014, 08:30 AM   #4
maillemaker

I bought a Colt Walker from Cabela's for Christmas. It is quite accurate. I am finding the best accuracy with 45 grains of 3F Shuetzen. I do not recommend Shuetzen powder, but I'm burning up what I have before going back to Goex. Shuetzen is very dirty.

Anyway.

I can get hole-in-hole accuracy with it at 50 yards off a bench.

At a competition a month ago for fun I shot my 6th shot at a man-sized steel target 120 yards away on the backstop offhand and nailed it.

Mine does have the arbor problem that Haw speaks of.and if I drive the wedge in too deeply the cylinder will bind against the barrel at a certain point in its rotation.

Steve
Old May 1, 2014, 02:41 PM   #5
Gaz_in_NZ

I'm using Goex FFF, .457 balls and the only caps I could get were RWS No.1075.

Just been reading all this.....

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles...ers_Part_1.pdf

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles...ers_Part_2.pdf

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles...ers_Part_3.pdf

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles...ers_Part_4.pdf

Didn't think there would be so much to consider with open-top revolvers from a mid 1800's design....
And I bought a Richards-Mason .38 conversion at the same time....

Cheers
Gaz
Old May 1, 2014, 10:50 PM   #6
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
I am finding the best accuracy with 45 grains of 3F Shuetzen. I do not recommend Shuetzen powder, but I'm burning up what I have before going back to Goex. Shuetzen is very dirty.
Really? I find just the opposite. I find that Schuetzen is cleaner than Goex and leaves less fouling behind. I pretty much only use Schuetzen these days, I only shoot Goex if I run out of Schuetzen.

Don't have much to say about the Walker except that only 1100 of the originals were ever built. Colt moved on to the Dragoon series after the Walker, partially because the Walker was just too darn big. Some of them had a nasty habit of blowing up with those huge chambers full of powder. Don't worry, that was with the old malleable iron cylinders and frames, not modern steel.
Old May 2, 2014, 08:37 AM   #7
maillemaker

Quote:
Really? I find just the opposite. I find that Schuetzen is cleaner than Goex and leaves less fouling behind. I pretty much only use Schuetzen these days, I only shoot Goex if I run out of Schuetzen.
There was a fellow over on the N-SSA board who did chronograph testing with Goex vs. Shuetzen and also found Shuetzen to be less consistent in velocities.

I did extensive testing with the new Moose Wilkinson bullet and Shuetzen powder and Goex powder. The Wilkinson is different than the Minie in that it relies on collapsing rather than expanding to obdurate in the rifling. It also has a single, tiny lube groove, so it is sensitive to dirty powder.

With Shuetzen, you could get off about 2-3 shots before the bullet became crunchy going down the barrel. With Goex, it was 10-15 shots.

You could see the difference on your cleaning patches, too.

It would be nice if Guns of the Old West or someone could do some real, scientific comparisons of the different powders.

Steve
Old May 2, 2014, 03:10 PM   #8
Gaz_in_NZ

Thanks to all for the replies.

I'd never heard of "Guns of the Old West" but I checked it out and I've just subscribed to it, so many thanks for mentioning it, it looks a very useful publication to have.

Cheers
Gaz