The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 15, 2018, 07:30 AM   #1
ChasHam

Cleaning Compact Polymer Frame Pistols

As I mentioned in another thread (Feeding new Ruger….), I’m quite happy with my new .380 LCP II and 9mm EC9s. But I’ve found something I don’t like, especially with the super-compact LCP II-— gun cleaning.

These are my first compact polymer frame pistols— actually my first polymers period, After I got back from the range, I figured I’d give them a good cleaning. It’s never taken me very long to clean any sort of gun. I’ve got it down to a well honed routine..

I was surprised though that It ended up taking me far longer that I was expecting with these two little guys.

How do you ever get your fingers. a patch or a tool down into all those tiny nooks, crannies, channels and grooves in the slide and frame? I would expect that the situation is similar with most brands and models of compact polymers- not just these.

My cleaning kit includes a wide assortment of gun brushes, tooth brushes, patches, rods, old t-shirts, Q-Tips, etc. and i ended up using most of them. Still can’t get some Hoppe’s #9 residue out of some of the more difficult corners!

Good thing these are carry-much, shoot-little guns...
Old September 15, 2018, 07:57 AM   #2
Kvon2

If a can of compressed air and q-tips can't get it done, then its not meant to be done
Old September 15, 2018, 08:17 AM   #3
FITASC

^^^^ Yep, Q-tips and a can of computer cleaning compressed air, maybe an old toothbrush as well.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 15, 2018, 08:29 AM   #4
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasHam:
Good thing these are carry-much, shoot-little guns...
IMHO carry-much, shoot-little guns are not a good thing.
Old September 15, 2018, 09:14 AM   #5
K_Mac

I too do not buy the carry much shoot little philosophy. I shoot my LCP often and clean it regularly. It does not take much to keep the striker channel and trigger mechanism in good shape. If you are looking for spotless perfection, good luck.

Edit: The LCP has a hammer and is easier to clean than my striker fired guns. I guess I need some more coffee!

Last edited by K_Mac; September 15, 2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old September 15, 2018, 03:29 PM   #6
ChasHam

Good suggestions about the compressed air. Thanks!

Instead of using my can of computer cleaning air though, I’ve got an electric air compressor with a small tank in the garage that I use to top up my car tires. Now I can deploy what I always considered a useless needle nozzle in its accessory kit.

I agree that a carry-much, shoot-little gun is not the best. What tipped me to accept it though was the old saw about the best personal defense gun being the one you have with you rather the Government Model in your bedside drawer or glove compartment.

Guess I’ll be shooting it more than I was planning to, though…
Old September 15, 2018, 04:05 PM   #7
luger fan

Polymer safe Gunscrubber.
Old September 15, 2018, 04:25 PM   #8
FITASC

Sorry, but the little guns are made for more carry than shoot; they will NOT take the abuse of a lot of shooting like a full size all-steel gun
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 15, 2018, 05:02 PM   #9
Dewey68

And I thought I was anal about cleaning my guns!
Old September 15, 2018, 05:10 PM   #10
K_Mac

FITASC how many rounds do you think it takes to wear out an LCP? I have no idea how many mine has shot. Several thousand between me and the previous owner who also shot it regularly. If/when it fails I will buy another. I would not carry a gun that I was not perfectly comfortable with, and that only happens with use.
Old September 15, 2018, 05:46 PM   #11
TunnelRat

If you're really worried about wearing out a gun, buy two. Shoot both to ensure function, and then dedicate one for training and practice. I do this with anything I'm serious about carrying.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old September 15, 2018, 07:22 PM   #12
JDBerg

My Walther PPS-M2 is a great carry gun that I regularly shoot a couple hundred rounds through at the range. I couldn’t feel comfortable with a CCW or EDC that I couldn’t shoot competently.
Old September 15, 2018, 08:18 PM   #13
JohnKSa
Staff

If you use something like Hornady One Shot or Hoppes Gun Medic, you can blast it in there to get rid of the loose stuff, hit it with a brush before the carrier dries to break up the harder stuff, blast it again, shake it off, let it dry and you're done.

No need to remove any of the cleaner/lubricant residue because the wet part of it evaporates and what is left is a dry lubricant that provides corrosion protection.

Alternatively, you can clean with your normal techniques and then blast it with One Shot when you're done to get rid of any remaining solvent/cleaner that is in hard-to-reach spots.
Old September 16, 2018, 04:51 PM   #14
druryj

Do NOT use Brake Cleaner on a polymer frame, unless you want it to be damaged.
Old September 16, 2018, 05:29 PM   #15
FITASC

Quote:
FITASC how many rounds do you think it takes to wear out an LCP? I have no idea how many mine has shot. Several thousand between me and the previous owner who also shot it regularly. If/when it fails I will buy another. I would not carry a gun that I was not perfectly comfortable with, and that only happens with use.
Don't know, but the last thing I want to happen is have it fail when I really needed it to work......... I'm not saying not to get comfortable with it, but it is NOT a range toy meant for thousands of rounds.

Quote:
Do NOT use Brake Cleaner on a polymer frame, unless you want it to be damaged.
Correct, but for barrels it is awesome