The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 21, 2018, 07:40 PM   #1
stagpanther

Good load for WC 338 fed

I've been trying on and off for a couple of months (without success) to find a good load for my 338 fed build using the Wilson Combat "hermaphrodite" intermediary gas system. Lacking the ability to attach a muzzle device--this gun delivers a heck of a thump for a 308-based cartridge--feels comparable to some magnum cartridges I've fired. The gas system works OK--but I've found that I can't "set it and forget it" when testing a ladder of "mild to wild"--I have to stop and adjust somewhere along the way when testing a full-range ladder.

Today I decided to try some 185 TSX BT's driven by xterminator; and may have finally found something with promise. Due to scarcity of bullets--the initial ladder was done with only 3 bullets each.

Loaded up some bracketing charge weights--4 shot groups this time--to see if I can repeat the results. These are using starline brass--the first batch was using federal brass which seemed to be better made--the starline appears to have a deeper primer pocket too.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 338fedAR.JPG (211.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 185tsx BT.JPG (92.1 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 338 fed 185TTsx BT 47,2 xterminator.jpg (70.6 KB, 69 views)