The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 14, 2019, 11:13 PM   #1
veprdude

Mini-30 Question- Steel Cased Ammo

I have an older (mid 90's) Mini-30. Wayyy back in the day it was basically a no go to run the steel case ammo due to the lacquer coating and hard primers. Now that polymer coatings are available is there a go to setup to get one of these to run on Steel Case 7.62x39?
Old August 16, 2019, 02:01 AM   #2
bamaranger

older Mini

I've got a Mini30 from the same era, bought it during the Clinton era as my first contemporary semi rifle . I have shot all manner of ammo thru it, to include steel case from China (Norinco) , Wolf, and heaven knows where all else. A goodly number of my reloads too. Lacquer cases, poly cases, hard primers.....all went bang and the Mini kicked them out and fed another.

It has never failed to feed or fire.....provided I use Ruger mags, either the 5 rd or the newer 20 rd version. I also never fired more than about 100 rds or so in a session, and kept the rifle clean and well lubed.

I read about Mini30 issues, but mine does not suffer from any of those maladies and will never be for sale.
Old August 16, 2019, 04:52 PM   #3
wayne in boca

I have a stainless Mini 30 that I bought used in 1994.I don't think I ever fired anything but steel cased ammo in it.works just fine if I keep it lubed,and I will never sell it.