The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 11, 2001, 10:07 PM   #1
saintdavid

Info on "Mauser"

I just got a barreled mauser action at a gun show to start building a rifle. I find only one mark on the top of the reciever no scattering of proofmarks and I want to find a source or forum to ID this action. It is a large ring mauser with the only ID mark a circle with three arcs forming an equalateral triangle in the center. Thanks for any information or pointers to info sources. I would like to know country of origin and approx date ie: pre WWI, post war, the 60's. And if this were a commercial or military piece originally.
Old June 13, 2001, 05:39 AM   #2
saintdavid

Picture

Well I took a picture of the mark see if this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-008f.jpg (36.2 KB, 87 views)
Old June 17, 2001, 03:17 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

My first thought was oriental, but FWIW, I can find no mark that resembles that, either Japanese or Chinese. The "chakra" on the Siamese Mausers made in Japan is entirely different. Maybe someone else can identify it.

Chinese Mausers turn up with all sorts of markings, as several local "war lords" set up factories to make or refurbish rifles, and this may be the product of one of them.

You might resent this, and you have not asked, but I will be honest with you. There is no way I would build a rifle or spend any money on an action of unknown origin and unknown quality. There are too many good quality VZ-24 and K98 actions around at bargain prices to take a chance on that one.

Jim
Old June 18, 2001, 04:19 PM   #4
saintdavid

Thanks

No I do not resent your suggestion, that is one reason I had turned here to the Firing Line for information before sinking money on a cheap qestionable action. Thanks for the information, and help.
Old June 19, 2001, 06:44 PM   #5
retpo

Jim, your in the right church with this mark.Factory symbol of China Kwang-tung Arsenal, "A Circle with Three Archs". This symbol is the only mark, besides the serial number on their rifles(no dates or model id.)
The Kwantung(Guandong) Arsenals also known as Canton(Guanghou) Arsenals,were located in provience of Kwatung(Guandong) in south China. Founded 1873 it mfg. Mauser Gew 98s in 1908. Made Chiang Kai-shek rifles in 1937,relocated to Rongzian in Kwangsi(Guangxi) Provience to avoid capture by Japanese.(Canton fell 21-10-38). Relocated in '39 as Japanese advanced. Not much known after China fell to the communists.
Old June 19, 2001, 10:41 PM   #6
saintdavid

Thanks!!

OK, Wow I knew someone might know something. Do you know of a source or place I could find the reference so I could try and narrow down the date of manufacture. Also I know I ask alot of questions but do you know of the quality of this factory? I have heard differing opinions of Chineese Mauser quality. Thanks again for all of the help and advice From the members of TFL! I could supply pics and numbers if needed.
Old June 19, 2001, 11:46 PM   #7
retpo

st. david,
this info. came from "History of Military Rifle Marks" by Hoffman & Schott. They state in the China topic that their info. came from a series of articles that appeared in the Military Rifle Journal by Stan Zielinski. Yr and Mo unknown. Try and do a search for MRJ. this is all the info I have been able to find so far. If more comes up I"ll let you know. I have no first hand experience with Chinese Mausers but have seen different forums stating the questionable quality of the chinese product.
Mauser Military Rifles of the World by Rbt. Ball has a section w/ photos.
I'd go with Mr. Keenan's advice, pick up a Vz24 or K98 and just leave this one as the historic specimen that it is. Questions are no problem, just keeps the mind active. Good Luck.
Old June 21, 2001, 08:36 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Retpo,

Thanks from me, also. I had never seen that one before. I think I will try and find out if that book is available.

Jim