The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 10, 2020, 02:38 PM   #1
veprdude

Thoughts on Brownell's BRN-180 Upper?

Brownell's has an upper receiver designed around the AR-18/108 design. Short stroke piston upper and all the recoil springs are self contained meaning when this is put on a standard AR-15 lower you can use a real folding stock.

The gas system is adjustable but didn't see anything mentioned about detents or if there's continuous adjustment possible.
Old August 11, 2020, 08:49 AM   #2
zukiphile

I become interested in them periodically, but the downsides always outweigh my curiosity. The piston operation system is interesting. I have that on another rifle. It's a bit cleaner and nice to be able to regulate gas without buying a special gas block.

On the other hand, a very good adjustable gas block can (or could be had prior to the current everything shortage) be had for less than $100. The increase in the reciprocating mass may leave it feeling slightly peppy even when properly adjusted.

I don't care for the prospect of taking screws out to remove the handguard for cleaning and maintenance. Screws work by stretching a bit, and I expect a screw to stretch only so many times.

It's not inexpensive. When I think of the upper I could build for $900, the BRN-180 looks less enticing. I'd fault no one for buying one, but I can't make the leap.
Old August 11, 2020, 10:23 AM   #3
Destructo6

Quote:
The gas system is adjustable but didn't see anything mentioned about detents or if there's continuous adjustment possible.
I believe Brownells said that it was a 2-position gas block, so I'd assume that would mean detents at each position.

The price is way too high for me. If the complete rifle was $900-$1,000 and a upper about half, it would be very attractive.

It's your money, though, so...

Keep all of them clean.