The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 21, 2016, 09:03 PM   #1
imp

Leupold dual dovetail mounts and rings.

Looking for opinions on the leupold dual dovetail mounts. Putting together a new rifle, and I really like the look of these mounts, but recently heard that they may not be as secure and some other options creating accuracy issues.

I really want a streamlined look, without the giant knobs on the sides of the rings. Are there other, better options in this regard?
Old June 21, 2016, 10:17 PM   #2
jmr40

I don't care at all for the windage adjustable mounts unless they are necessary to correct a problem with the rifle. The dual dovetails aren't my personal favorite, but are a stronger mounting system than the windage adjustable versions. They do look good and have the streamlined look you mention. If aesthetics are important they are probably a good choice for the money. There are other options that might be a bit better looking, but are pricey.

One of the disadvantages of anything using dovetails is that it is extremely important to get the front and rear ring perfectly aligned. If not it will bind and possibly damage the scope. There are special tools made to ensure this happens and it might be a good idea to have someone experienced mount the scope.

They may not be as pleasing to the eye but I just prefer the simplicity and strength of something that fits in a cross slot or uses a base that is also the lower ring. They are simpler, easier to mount, can be a lot lighter,are very rigid, and generally cost less. But if I had a fancy showpiece I might be tempted to go with the dual dovetails.
Old June 23, 2016, 10:33 PM   #3
imp

Thanks jmr40. I think I'm going to give them a try. Gonna have the LGS align and lap the rings to make sure they line up just right.
Old June 24, 2016, 01:18 AM   #4
SSA

I would expect the double dovetail system to be as strong and solid as anything you can get.
The Burris Signature rings fit the Leupold bases. Would save lapping.