The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Do You Carry in Your BOB?
Yes a Pistol 11 33.33%
Yes a rifle 2 6.06%
No I do not. 20 60.61%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 7, 2014, 03:47 PM   #1
Jim243

Do You Carry in Your BOB?

We are all sort of prepper's, just in-case of a tornado or flood or some such thing. But it got me curious if many of us carry a firearm in our bug out bag and if so what kind? I was thinking of putting my Bersa 380 in it with about 50 rounds of ammo.

Stay safe and shoot straight.
Jim
Old December 7, 2014, 05:26 PM   #2
Koda94

what would be the advantage of carrying a gun in a BOB?
Old December 7, 2014, 05:39 PM   #3
aarondhgraham

Quote:
So you aren't unarmed?

I have a small tornado bug-out-bag,,,
It contains the minimum survival stuff,,,
And 3 days of water and minimum ration bars,,,
But it also has a false bottom with a small .38 revolver.

When they stuff me in one of those arena sized refugee shelters,,,
After they confiscate my pocket knife and carry gun,,,
I'll still have something I can rely on in a pinch.

I won't allow them to do to me what they did to the people in Louisiana.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old December 7, 2014, 06:11 PM   #4
raimius

No, I spend too much time in "no carry" zones. Firearms are thus a separate item.
Old December 7, 2014, 06:42 PM   #5
psalm7

No I keep a " get home " bag in my car but I drive through 2 school zones and a Air Force base to get to work and don't need the hassel if im pulled over or in a wreck . As far as a bug out bag at home if Im bugging out I would be carrying a rifle and side arm on my belt . But Im more of a Bug in prepper .
Old December 7, 2014, 07:34 PM   #6
zombietactics

Circumstances dictate ...

Generally I carry everywhere it's legal for me to do so. I have CCW permits from multiple states, so thankfully that is a lot of places. I always have a spare magazine on my person.

If I am traveling light, I'll have several extra mags in my get-home bag, but that's about it. That bag is usually in the trunk of my car or the safe in my hotel room.

Depending upon where I am traveling, how long, and what travel advisories are in place (I subscribe to a service), I'll up my game.
Old December 7, 2014, 07:58 PM   #7
Jim243

Quote:
During a earthquake or tornado you may not be able to find your CCW in all the rubble, but the BOB would always be handy, besides it is perfectly legal in Illinois to carry a firearm cased and unloaded where as open carry is illegal. It would just be a backup for your CCW in any event. (just in case). Isn't that what you BOB is for to begin with, besides I do not think it would be wise to roam the streets as a refugee with a gun on your hip if you want to blend in with all the other refugees.

Jim

Last edited by Jim243; December 7, 2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old December 7, 2014, 08:49 PM   #8
zombietactics

Quote:
... During a earthquake or tornado you may not be able to find your CCW in all the rubble, but the BOB would always be handy...
I'm missing the logic here somewhere. Or maybe there is some additional factor you are leaving out. It's seems that you are suggesting that one is likely to lose (and then not be able to find) a gun kept on their person ... but that a bag would be "always be handy" (i.e. not likely to be lost, buried under rubble, etc.)

I'd like to know what prevents bags from being lost and/or covered with rubble (since they are always available?), and what makes carried guns especially prone to this phenomenon?

Last edited by zombietactics; December 7, 2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old December 7, 2014, 08:54 PM   #9
Hiker 1

I'd like to know what prevents bags from being lost and/or covered with rubble (since they are always available?), and what makes carried guns especially prone to this phenomenon?

Agreed. Not sure what leaving a gun in the BOB will accomplish. If a tornado is powerful enough to send my guns flying into the next county, I don't have a lot of hope for my bag.
Old December 7, 2014, 09:37 PM   #10
Koda94

so to clarify is the OP referring to a BUG in a BOB? That would make more sense to me.
Old December 7, 2014, 11:24 PM   #11
Model12Win

There is a Glock 26 in each of my four BUG spread across the property, each loaded w/ an extra 33 round mag loaded with gold dots.

You can never be too sure where exactly you will be when you need a BOB when you live and work across 70 acres.
Old December 8, 2014, 08:01 AM   #12
johnelmore

Just wondering what a rifle looks like in the bug out bag.
Old December 8, 2014, 09:41 AM   #13
Jim243

Quote:
a gun kept on their person .
I don't sleep with a gun strapped on me. And to be honest I find myself more and more not carrying one on me at home.

A rifle in the BOB looks like a AR-7 or a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 or a SBR AR-15 (10 inch barrel)

Jim

Quote:
loaded with gold dots
Good choice of bullets, or at least that's my opinion.

Quote:
If a tornado is powerful enough to send my guns flying into the next county
No, but it will dump 10 tons of junk on it. I have more confidence in finding the bag than looking for a needle in the hay stack.

Last edited by Jim243; December 8, 2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old December 8, 2014, 11:06 AM   #14
tirod

If you live in a tornado prone area, your BOB is in your safe room, and you hope you can reach it.

Working 40 hours away from the house, it becomes problematic. Many corporations prohibit firearms on the property. If you work retail at the Mall, no gun. Car parts, no gun. Etc.

Now you have the circumstance where your gun might be stored in the car, and you are not when an incident happens.

Take your BOB into work? Sorry, I've had nosy coworkers snoop thru it. The BOB or backpack carried by a male does not get the respect of a woman's purse, and is considered fair game by superiors for search. Despite the Fed.Gov furthering the BOB in urban use, the people are not embracing the concept. Keep a four inch fixed blade and a 30 foot piece of kernmantle in your pack and you are an active weirdo.

Security will show you the door on your way out and hand you your pack in the street.

One consideration about carrying a gun at all during an extreme weather event is the humans tend to band together a lot more harmoniously as the digging out and rescues are going on. There were almost no armed events during Joplin's EF5 recovery. It was us against the weather. But - it's not a urbanized area mindset, despite the categorization as a metro.

In your area, looting and riots after a weather event might be much more likely. Nonetheless, after Katrina, it took some time before it happened. Most people who could leave already had, it was push come to shove by those who stayed behind. And for some, that was a calculated risk so that the looting could take place.

Joplin post tornado had people driving into town to loot within hours. Not the neighbors, some came from another state.

One sad fact is that if someone attempts to shelter in a car from a direct engagement with a tornado, they are likely going to be killed. Your BOB isn't going to do much except bounce around in the car as it is picked up and slammed against the pavement becoming another object that will injure you.

In a severe event, the gun in the BOB at first is more a burden than help. It regains a place of usefulness when things quiet down and other humans start reacting selfishly. That may take hours or days. What will be more important is water, heavy gloves, extraction tools, and weather gear. Defensive weapons are further down the list.

You will more than likely not need one until the sun goes down the first night.
Old December 8, 2014, 03:13 PM   #15
johnelmore

I dont think a bag is a proper place to store firearms for obvious reasons.
Old December 8, 2014, 03:19 PM   #16
Grant D

I don't have a BOB. I live in the country, so I'll just " hunker down in place" as they say on the let's spin the news channels.
Besides I always have one or two handguns on my person anyway.
Old December 8, 2014, 04:05 PM   #17
serf 'rett

No BOB, but I do have a few freeze dried meals...maybe 6 or 7...
Old December 8, 2014, 07:02 PM   #18
dayman

I keep my guns on me or in safes. I do have under-the-seat lock boxes in my cars, so if I'm going somewhere I can't bring my gun in I put it in there.
I'm having a hard time coming up with a scenario where I'd be able to dig my "BOB" (really more of an emergency kit) out of the closet, but not have time to pop open a quick access safe and grab a gun.

Also, I have kids, so it would be pretty negligent to leave an unlocked gun anywhere curious little hands could find it. Such as the "bag of interesting/forbidden things" in the back of the closet.

If I were going to have a "bug out gun" it would probably be a target .22. Decent for small game, light, and not something I generally keep in a quick access box.

I've thought about it, but I don't want one bad enough to spend money on a gun I'm not going to shoot.
A wrist rocket might not be a bad idea though.
Old December 9, 2014, 01:24 PM   #19
johnelmore

Jim, what scenarios would you need to "bug out" with a rucksack? I think if you live in certain areas, such as areas prone to earthquakes and hurricanes, you might keep some gas cans, a small generator and extra bottles of water. There are basic supplies like led lanterns which you should have.

Should you have a dedicated rucksack filled with supplies and firearms? My honest opinion is you probably dont need that. However, it would be reasonable to keep a rack in your basement of basic supplies like gas cans and led lanterns. Maybe even a ready to go firearm for defensive purposes in a secure container would be appropriate. A dedicated bag so you can bug out within minutes not to return to your home for an extended period of time? I dont think so.
Old December 10, 2014, 05:11 PM   #20
Tactical Jackalope

It's usually either a Glock 19 or the 41.
Old December 10, 2014, 05:45 PM   #21
Onward Allusion

Gun in the Get-Home-Bag not Bug-Out-Bag. Doesn't make sense in a BOB. I mean, you're already home where your guns are, right? Why leave a gun in the BOB? I guess it can be done . . .

Considering the number of hours most people spend away from their homes at work, social events, errands...etc... It makes more sense to be equipped to get home.
Old December 10, 2014, 10:16 PM   #22
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Do You Carry in Your BOB?
Sure do... a good multi-tool all the time.

It was good enough for Les Stroud, so it's good enough for me.

Deaf
Old January 8, 2015, 07:55 PM   #23
johnelmore

Ive had the Leatherneck tool for quite a while. Funny how Ive never had to use it.
Old January 8, 2015, 08:30 PM   #24
skizzums

I carry a pistol ALL the time, so it's not necessary in a bag. but if I had to bug-out, I would definitely be grabbing a rifle, but it's not staged in a bag
Old January 8, 2015, 10:47 PM   #25
Jim243

My basic thinking is that all my weapons are locked up either in the safe or gun cabinets. If a catastrophic event should happen I would hope that they might withstand the onslaught but if a F-4 can pick up a cow or truck and toss it to the next county I would at least have my BOB that I grab as I head for shelter.

While I hope no one needs to find out one way or another if this is a good idea, I think I would like to be prepared just in case.

Stay safe
Jim