The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 30, 2020, 11:36 AM   #1
DaleA

NRA July 31 deadline membership rates

A bit of an odd thing happened when I went to check out renewal rates for the NRA. I am and have been an NRA member for years. I saw in the American Rifleman they are having a "discounted" membership rate good until the end of July 2020. When I initially checked the NRA site it said a 3 year membership could be had for $75 with about 6 different incentive gifts available, like range bags, backpacks, coffee mugs or a knife. When I decided to actually take advantage of the deal and entered the NRA site as an existing member I found the 3 year renewal was $85 and my choice of incentive gift was an NRA pullover. I got on the "chat line" with an NRA rep and after a brief back and forth I got a 3 year extension for my membership with an incentive gift of my choice for $75.

I guess I could understand new members getting a cheaper rate than existing members (I can understand it but it still irritates me) but I don't see where it is spelled out the $75 is only for new members and for anyone extending their membership I think, but don't know for sure, that if you push they will give you the $75 rate.

NRA $75 3-year page:
https://joinnra.com/multistep/joins?...SAAEgKKafD_BwE

NRA $85 3-year page:
https://membership.nra.org/Renew/Annuals

Please note that I DO support the NRA I just want members here on this site to be aware I got a better deal by doing a little online negotiation and maybe they could get a similar deal.
Old July 30, 2020, 03:48 PM   #2
allenomics

If you call the NRA's membership sales line you will find that they have deals. The salespeople on the phone (not sure if they are a NRA vendor) seem to have the ability to quote you better pricing, especially for various Life member levels; perhaps multi-year memberships too. If you have any sales experience you know that you need to ask for a discount, and then let the sales agent speak next...not matter how long the amount of time that elapses. Chances are you will be quoted a reduced price. Usually, these rates are not published.
Old July 31, 2020, 04:42 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

I renewed mine for 5 years at the NRA convention a few years ago. It was the lowest price I'd ever seen and came with a gift card from Cabela's.

I'd certainly call them and see what they offer.
Old August 1, 2020, 05:01 PM   #4
DaleA

Color me naïve. I never thought this was a negotiable thing. Way too late now but I wonder sometimes what this naivete has cost me over the years.
Old August 3, 2020, 08:17 PM   #5
reynolds357

Until W.L. ruined the NRA, I didnt care what membership cost. I considered it a worthwhile donation. Thanks to W L. I let my membership expire and will not give them two cents. I joined GOA.
Old August 4, 2020, 12:25 AM   #6
ms6852

I let my membership expire when I started getting phonically on Sundays and the guys making it sound like the sky was falling and the troops were marching down the street to take my guns away. I prefer being a member of the Texas State Rifle Association.
Old August 6, 2020, 01:14 PM   #7
allenomics

DaleA, base NRA membership pricing is not negotiable. You haven't been "had." Not naive.

It's the higher levels of membership, like Life, and the three versions of Life membership that are negotiable when calling the NRA (whoever handles its membership processing).

As an example, my Benefactor Life Member designation cost less than my Life membership. But on paper the NRA asks $4,000 more than what Life costs for Benefactor Life. https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/superlife.asp
Old August 6, 2020, 02:16 PM   #8
zxcvbob

I am paid-up at the NRA until December. If there's a change in leadership I might renew, but not otherwise. I'm also a SAF member and will continue supporting them.
Old August 8, 2020, 05:08 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

Given that there are other NRA threads running discussing other issues related to the NRA, I think it shouldn't be a problem to keep this one on the topic of negotiated membership levels.

I haven't tried negotiating a membership level myself, but a family member recently renewed and asked for a better deal on his base membership. They knocked off $10 to sell him a single-year membership for $25.
Old August 8, 2020, 05:16 PM   #10
JWT

They can have the rates wherever they want and they still will not get my renewal as long as LaPierre et.al. are still associated with the organization.