The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2020, 08:28 AM   #1
BondoBob

COAL for Atlanta Arms 124 FMJ RN 9mm

Can anyone help me out with this load data or direct me to a resource? I need to know the min COAL for this bullet. I could not find it on the Mnfr website or in any of my loading manuals. This #AA9124FMJ bullet's OAL is .583. The closest data I found is speer's #3993 bullet but it's .605 OAL with COAL of 1.135.

Multiple sources show I can use Universal powder at 3.8 -4.4 grains but no COAL data found. The COAL range is see listed is from 1.060 to 1.150

Am I splitting hairs? Would I be safe just experimenting with the start load of 3.8 and different seating depths. It's my fist time doing 9mm.

Thanks
Old August 1, 2020, 09:19 AM   #2
jetinteriorguy

Take an empty sized case, seat a bullet real long in it, then plunk test it in your barrel. Keep seating deeper and plunking it until it passes the plunk test, then seat it .010” deeper and start working up your load. If using in multiple guns make sure it plunks in all your barrels, if it fails in one of your barrels, seat deeper using the same procedure until it passes a plunk test. You can find out what the plunk test is on YouTube. Do this procedure every time you use a new bullet type/profile.
Old August 2, 2020, 12:29 PM   #3
BondoBob

Turns out this company also makes completed rounds and they use 1.135. So, I guess I'm all set.