The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 28, 2015, 01:24 PM   #26
BigJimP

What ...me cruel ....no you have me confused with someone else...

But High 7 ...yikes.../ but ok, you were at least in the teens...( so I'm only chuckling a little - with little tears coming to my eyes, as I choke back the chuckle, a little ) not as badly as you choked on High 7 ...but none the less...

-----------
ok, seriously then....could be all kinds of things...
a. measuring your lead instead of feeling it...
b. rolling your shoulders..instead of staying level...
c. no follow thru...
d. picking up your head.../ stopping swing .../ looking at barrel....
( geez, I'm too tired to go on ....)....

-------------
Just stay at it ...and work on one thing at a time...and it'll get better !

Last edited by BigJimP; January 28, 2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old January 28, 2015, 06:07 PM   #27
Dreaming100Straight

Had a great practice. A friend pulled for me and I went through three boxes just practicing by myself. I didn't even shoot skeet, but worked on what wasn't working. After a bit I was hitting pretty nicely. I would say the problem was not having confidence in or the correct leads. When I got the leads down and started to swing with some confidence it got easier and easier not only to hit the bird without stopping, but with a natural follow through.
Old January 28, 2015, 07:40 PM   #28
BigJimP

We knew you could do it ...nicely done ! .../ its good to have friends to help you out...
Old January 29, 2015, 12:14 AM   #29
Dreaming100Straight

It is good to have friends and to know who to listen to. This guy is quiet and has a calming effect on me. While figuring out my leads, I was literally walking the shot in like with a mortar. I bracketed the birds until I got the feel and could pretty reliably hit them they same way in the same place time after time.
Old January 29, 2015, 11:45 AM   #30
BigJimP

Since we know your gun "Fits" you ...meaning it's Point of Impact is where you are looking - since your eye is the rear sight on a shotgun....( to get back on topic --- for the OP )...and picking the right gun based on "Fit" ...not styling, price, etc...

....../ then when shooting Skeet, its a matter of developing some muscle memory ...so you "feel" the lead ...and good solid fundamentals..... stance, hold point, focus only on leading edge of the target (never on the barrel), pulling trigger is the start of the shot - not the end of the shot - follow thru is the end of the shot, shift your eyes after the first bird is dead - to find the 2nd bird - and then move your gun ( never move the gun before you shift your eyes to find that 2nd bird....and all the other little things ( like not trapping the trigger, having decent reloads, etc...)...
Old January 29, 2015, 09:13 PM   #31
FITASC

Quote:
I don't think any semi-auto is going to compete with something like a BT99 at trap.
Plenty of them can do the job.

Quote:
I was missing most all high house presentations and killing the low house. I think the main fault was shooting with a lack of confidence that translated into not shooting when I was on the bird and checking when I should be pulling the trigger. Misses were well behind the bird.
Missing L2R but nor R2L..........maybe an eye dominance issue? Poor stance, not moving your feet or trying to swing only from your hips?
Old January 29, 2015, 09:35 PM   #32
Dreaming100Straight

Quote:
Missing L2R but nor R2L..........maybe an eye dominance issue? Poor stance, not moving your feet or trying to swing only from your hips?
I don't think it is eye dominance, which is possible, or failing to swing from the hip. I catch myself now and again doing that, and pretty easily get back into initiating my swing from the hips or knees. It is incredible how much easier and smoother things are when I let the lower body do the work. Besides not establishing a proper sight picture, for lack of a better term, I think my problem lay with choosing hold points too far from the high house. That was easily remedied by referring to my cheat sheet (a print out of hold points from one of Todd Bender's videos).

Anyhow, now that my MEC 9000 is cranking and I think I have the basics worked out, its time to burn some powder.
Old January 29, 2015, 11:08 PM   #33
Bake

Deleted..

Last edited by Bake; January 30, 2015 at 12:07 AM.