The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 17, 2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Gary Slider

Ohio Will Only Honor Arizona Resident Permit/License

The whole story. A gentleman contacted me stating he had contacted OH AG asking about AZ. OH AG told him he had to have an AZ Drivers License with his AZ Permit/License to be legal in Ohio. So I looked at the Agreement AZ and OH signed (You can View it Here: http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/f...city-Agreement

It states Resident twice. No other AZ Agreements state this with other states. No other Ohio Agreements they have with other states state this unless the state has it in their laws. (MI, SC & FL). From the paper work and confirmed by the OH AG they will not honor the AZ non-resident permit/license. Arizona started the paperwork and AZ put the Resident Only wording in the agreement. This agreement was signed in 2004.

The AG’s Office called me today after I sent an email asking them about all the permit/licenses they honored and if they would honor all those states Non Resident Permit/Licenses. I was just confirming this so I would have the correct information on Handgunlaw.us I never mentioned AZ etc. They confirmed they would honor all non-resident permits from states they honor except for Arizona. I told them it would be nice if they would put that info on their website. The AG’s Office told me they would forward my idea to put “Resident Permits Only” out from AZ on their reciprocity page at: http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/E...ity-Agreements If they will do that or not I do not know.

I am updating the site this evening late and all the pages I upload will have a date of last updated of 4/20/12 as that was my scheduled update date. I believed I should get it posted as quick as possible.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old April 17, 2012, 08:12 PM   #2
HarrySchell

I don't get to OH much but will have an AZ NR permit pretty soon. Thanks for posting this.
Old April 17, 2012, 08:14 PM   #3
Patriot86

Do you know if they have the same arrangement for Utah permits?
My brother in Law who lives in Ohio just came into town...they have some odd gun laws in Ohio. What kind of a civilized state doesn't have deer rifle season?
Old April 17, 2012, 09:37 PM   #4
Fishing_Cabin

While it is odd that the agreement between AZ and Oh is such, it may become more common in the future with people getting a "resident" permit, and then moving and not up dating it.

Btw, Thanks Gary for keeping up your website to try to help others make an informed choice.

Last edited by Fishing_Cabin; April 17, 2012 at 11:36 PM.