The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 6, 2010, 09:44 AM   #76
Crosshair

Quote:
Animal rights groups would fight it like they never fought anything and they'd have the public sentiment behind them for the first time. Meaning their membership would skyrocket and they would take in donations at a rate heretofore unheard of. Groups like PETA and the HSUS would rise to a level of power and influence that they had only been able to dream of. A Horse hunt would open up an awful can of worms.
Just like they have over Deer hunting........oh wait.

PETA and those groups will cry and moan and be general incompetents as is typical. Instead of "Whale Wars" We'll have "Horse Wars" where we get to watch the hippies bumbling about and getting kicked in the face by wild horses or getting lost in the wilderness and have to be rescued by park rangers."

About the only thing they can do without screwing it up/looking like fools is file some lawsuits.
Old June 6, 2010, 07:27 PM   #77
moosemike

Animal rights groups would have the public sentiment behind them. I've discussed this very topic with non hunters many times and I remain convinced of that. There is a large difference between a deer and a horse to your average person.
Old June 6, 2010, 09:01 PM   #78
Famas

I was practically raised on horse meat as a child. I lived with my grandparents a lot, and my grandmother would grill horse steak for me every Sunday, it was considered a delicacy for us at the time. She made a fantastic Bearnaise sauce with a few shallots added to go with my steak. It was always delicious! I see no problem with eating it.

I suppose one can eat anything provided it is prepared to the person's taste.
Old June 6, 2010, 10:10 PM   #79
w_houle

I could eat horsemeat. Meat in a package is just meat. I wouldn't eah human, but meat is meat. But as far as killing, dressing, and eating a horse? No, I refuse to eat Trigger!
Old June 6, 2010, 10:27 PM   #80
FALacy

I'm so hungry I could eat a...

Nah, don't think I could.
Old June 7, 2010, 01:36 AM   #81
radshop

I lived in rural western China for a few years in the early 90s - ate horse, dog, donkey, camel - whatever was available at the local market, without a second thought.
Old June 7, 2010, 04:51 AM   #82
treg

I put one down Saturday afternoon. Seems like quite a waste burying that much meat but she was sick.
Old June 9, 2010, 01:46 AM   #83
troy_mclure

ive eaten horse twice, once in a fancy restaurant in Quebec, and once in a not so fancy restaurant out side of Paris(just random choice off the menu).

it was made better in France than Canada.

it was ok, not great.

i would hunt it if the tags were cheap enough. $50 for 400lbs-ish of meat would be a good deal.

plus the hide is big enough and tough enough to make some good leather.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old June 9, 2010, 10:11 AM   #84
BGutzman

I ate camel in Afganistan so sure why not eat horse meat.. As a country we always seem to get stuck on these thing, in other places in the world cat, dog,rat, spiders, lizards you name it everything is on the menu.
Old June 9, 2010, 10:32 AM   #85
doofus47

I ate basashi when I was in Japan. It's like horse sushi. Didn't kill me. Tasted like, well, meat. My wife used to show horses, though, and she'd probably starve before she'd eat a horse.
Old June 9, 2010, 11:21 AM   #86
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

On pizza, in burgers, in chili, it's okay but I preferred kangaroo.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old June 9, 2010, 12:42 PM   #87
aarondhgraham

I've eaten rat, bat, and cat,,,

So why not horse,,,

It's all about what we get emotional about,,,
It's just another source of protein.
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 9, 2010, 01:39 PM   #88
grubbylabs

Meat is meat and animals are animals. Its the strangest thing whole countries like India worship the meat in the hamburger I will eat to night yet they don't go around trying to get me to not eat the thing. Yet for some reason our animal rights terrorists think they need to tell people what and what not to eat. Animals are just that animals they are here to serve a purpose, mine. If I need to eat it then fine, if I need it to pull a cart or pack out a dead animal then fine. But they are only animals.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old June 9, 2010, 03:48 PM   #89
Doodlebugger45

I couldn't agree more. I was raised around horses my whole life and have had some real exceptional examples that I had a bond with. I can't imagine NOT having a horse. However, the deal with wild horses is like equating your pet dog or hunting dog to those dogs in a wild dog pack that go around killing livestock and game. Not the same at all. No matter how pretty or how noble they may look, some animals somply have to be managed by man and if it means killing some of them, then so be it.

But I digress. I don't want to discuss the merits of wild horse management here. I appreciate the comments regarding the edibility of horse flesh. As mentioned I haven't tried it, but those of you who commented it sounds like the consensus is "not bad at all". I certainly wouldn't have any qualms about shooting one and putting it in the freezer. I'm sure I would like it better than antelope meat. I pretty much quit hunting antelope because I really didn't like the meat at all.
Old June 9, 2010, 10:49 PM   #90
MosinM38

Ain't even gonna come back and read replies.

My opinion: I wouldn't eat one, I don't like their being slaughtered..
But it is a necessary evil. Banning horse slaughter is only leading to alot more abuse and cruelty by their starving to death. That, or many countless thousands of others who are shot and either rolled into a gutpile or a grave. The money from them might as well be put to use, along with their meat, rather than rotting in the ground.
Old June 10, 2010, 07:46 AM   #91
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Mosin, there is another aspect which most folks don't know about: The land itself. Over-population means overgrazing of the land. That leads to soil erosion and muddying of formerly clear-running streams. In turn, that reduces the population of trout. And, of course, barren lands are a reduction in habitat for other species than the horses...

'"Huggers" spend a lot of time worrying about critters, but rarely know to worry about the health of the land itself.
Old June 10, 2010, 04:59 PM   #92
crghss

Non-indigenous animals always cause a problem. 95% of Americans don't even know horses came with the Europeans. Something should be done about these animals.

I've butchered plenty of wild and domestic animals. I've eaten most kinds of critters, Gator, frog legs,bear:barf:, squirrel, armadillo......

But I couldn't eat a horse.
Old June 13, 2010, 02:59 AM   #93
Dr. Strangelove

Oh yeah... in a heartbeat.

Why would you eat a cow and say a horse is gross? Or a pig? (course the pig is nature's perfect food-source anyway, seeing as how that's bacon comes from)
Old June 13, 2010, 03:47 AM   #94
wyobohunter

Quote:
So, have any of you eaten horse?
Yes, in Hong Kong and it wasn't bad at all.

Quote:
Would you eat a horse if it was a game animal?
Yes and I'd hunt them too.
Old June 13, 2010, 03:55 AM   #95
wyobohunter

Quote:
But would like to have a Mustang to ride, and hunt off.
https://www.blm.gov/adoptahorse/

PM sent to TX Hunter
Old June 13, 2010, 09:15 AM   #96
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I grew up around horses. Plow horses. Riding horses. Show horses. Later on after I'd moved back to the old family ranch I had a couple of halfway-decent riding horses.

I've never seen a wild horse herd. But what I have seen of wild horses was a corral full of BLM captures. You couldn't GIVE me one of those brumby nags, much less sell me one. They are to horses what Russian buildings are to architecture. The Yugo of the horse world. All the attractiveness of a Rosie O'Donnell. If you could teach one to sing, it most likely would sound like Phyllis Diller.

Not that I have a negative attitude about them, you understand...
Old June 13, 2010, 11:18 AM   #97
reloader28

Very good point ART.
Growing up on one of the biggest ranches around, I've been around working horses most of my life. Most times when people think of wild horses they think of the ones pictured in wyobohunter's link. We have wild horses here and I've NEVER seen one that looked as good as the ones pictured. Curried manes and tails. Give me a break. Mangy things.
I know several people that have bought them and they very ,very rarely tame down. All these new people moving in from Komifornia or states back east think its cool to own a real wild mustang and keep it corralled up on their 3-5 acre "ranch".
Most of the wild mustang sales go to these people. They hardly know how to feed a horse let alone ride one. But they are in the wild west of Buffalo Bill so everybody must own a horse. Makes me sick to see it standing in the corral swatting flies in the 100 degree sun with no shade, a 5 gallon bucket of water (tipped over) and a fence hanging feeder that they put grain in every day. If that aint abuse, I dont know what is.

And these are the same people that raise the biggest stink about animal cruelty around here.

When I ate horse in Peru, it was very good.

Last edited by reloader28; June 13, 2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old June 13, 2010, 11:21 AM   #98
4V50 Gary
Staff

I had it in Belgium. Tastes like beef to me.
Old June 13, 2010, 12:29 PM   #99
BeerSleeper

I'm not rushing out to find somewhere I can get a cut of horse, but if someone familiar with cooking a horse dish offered me a plate, I'd have a sample as long as there's no onions in it. Knowledge of proper preparation is going to be a must. All meats are different. Beef is the easiest to cook, and as you move to leaner meats, cooking to achieve the same quality of taste becomes more difficult. I have no first hand knowlege, but I would imagine horse to be a very lean meat, which is going to be dry, and bland, if prepared in a manner that allows it to dry out.
Old June 13, 2010, 01:03 PM   #100
Txhillbilly

The best Ribeye steak I ever had was from a horse. A close friend is a butcher and I have ate horse on several occassions when he offers it.

It is just like any other meat,marinate it throw it on the grill,and yum,yum.It taste good!