The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 24, 2007, 10:55 PM   #1
enstorm

Primers

Soft, hard (yes, this is about reloading), hot, not hot, etc etc. I have seen many post now about the pressure, and maybe other performance differences between loads with primers by cci, federal, winchester, and so forth. More recently, saw a post that some brand was too "soft" to handle max safe loads vs another brand -- I suppose the guy meant primers would blow out. Can someone point me to actual studies establishing how different primers affect safety and performance in rifle and pistol rounds? Thanks
Old November 30, 2007, 10:01 PM   #2
totalloser

Hard refers basically to the thickness of the brass the cup of the primer is formed from. Military primers (#41 and m34) are "harder" than commercial ammo to prevent "slam fires" from the firing pin's inertia kissing the primer when you cycle the action.
Hot refers to loads that are more powerful than recommended loads. If primers are failing under pressure, they are SUPER low quality or your load is just a really high pressure load. I imagine pieces of barrel in my head when I hear primers not holding the pressure.
If I was you, asking this question, I would buy a reloading book. Reliable answers to your questions. I like Lee's reloading book best, personally.