The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 18, 2007, 11:15 PM   #1
T-Bear

45 ACP shotshells

Here is the rundown, I've been loading 444 brass shotshells for 45 colt for the past years. But now I want to see if there is any data for .45acp shotshells.
I'm pretty sure there is someone out there.
Any help would be awesome.
Old September 19, 2007, 06:11 AM   #2
45Marlin carbine

there is, RCBS makes a set of dies for forming .45 acp shotshells from .308 brass, I'm in the process of making some up now. you need a really sturdy press mounted firmly as you have to set the press to 'cam over' just right to get the OAL. it uses a .410 shotcup and Unique powder (IIRC, I will have to check my notes)
Old September 19, 2007, 10:07 AM   #3
T-Bear

I am aware of the RCBS dies for the .308 brass, but at 80 bucks a die, I think I;ll pass.
Old September 19, 2007, 10:41 AM   #4
Sevens

I've always wondered what is a good use for these handgun based shotshell loads. CCI has been making them for years and they are horribly expensive.

What do you folks use them for?
Old September 19, 2007, 10:48 AM   #5
FALPhil

Several years ago (probably around 15), there was an article in American Rifleman on making 45ACP shotshells. It covered two different approaches. I don't remember the details, because at the time, I was just happy to shoot hardball from my 1911.

If you could locate that article, it would probably get you started. I don't keep my old magazines, but maybe some members here do.
Old September 19, 2007, 01:06 PM   #6
Slip Shooter

Here is info that may be helpful.

American Rifleman Apr 84 p.66 45ACP Shotshell Using American Rifleman 1977 Shotshell Dies.

American Rifleman Dec 80 p.66 45ACP Shotshell American Rifleman 1977 Shotshell Die with modifications.

American Rifleman Apr 76 p.20 45ACP Shotshell NRA 1976 Shotshell Die - Handloaded Shotshell for 45ACP.

American Rifleman Apr 77 p.49 45ACP Shotshell 45ACP Shot Load Malfunction.

Handloader No. 80 p.20 45ACP Shotshell Making and loading 45ACP Shotshells - American Rifleman 1977 Shotshell Dies - Jul/Aug 79

Slip --

NRA Benefactor Member.
Old September 19, 2007, 04:36 PM   #7
FALPhil

Dadgum, Slip. Time flies when you're having fun! Never thought it would have been 23 years!
Old September 19, 2007, 05:19 PM   #8
Scorch

I have a set of the 45ACP shotshell dies and used to make quite a few of them. I started out using 308 brass, but switched to 45 Win Mag brass as soon as it became available about 1978. The 45 WinMag brass is thinner and easier to work, forms the headspace ring easily, crimps easier, and holds more powder and shot. I always loaded 8.0 gr of Unique to cycle the 1911. I used the same dies for loading 44 shotshells as well, I just unscrewed the die until it crimped right.
Old September 20, 2007, 08:25 AM   #9
45Marlin carbine

Tbear send me PM if you are interested in buying some formed brass, then all you will need is the reload dies. I have the complete set of RCBS, got years ago when still reasonable priced, they have gone up. no idea now what the sizing/seating die set is now.
and yes shotshells for any centerfire handgun are expensive, but good idea to have some on hand for your favorite woods/trail pistol.
Old December 3, 2007, 02:49 PM   #10
bushidomosquito

What do you use them for?

Snakes! I use to know a guy with a gnarly old SAA that he had the bore reamed smooth for use as a dedicated snake gun with shotshells. I never saw him shoot a snake with it but he let me disintegrate several wasps nests. MUCH better than a can of raid.

And lets not forget the old trick of taking a newbie out shooting baloons. Give them regular ball and keep the shot for yourself. I'll never forget the look on my little brother's face when he watched me pop 'em one after another rapid fire at 40 yards. He listened real well to my shooting instructions after that.
Old December 3, 2007, 06:04 PM   #11
45Marlin carbine

I have taken rabbits and squacks with mine just to check performance. haven't had chance to try on grouse yet. 5-6 or so would be good idea for the bug-out pack if you are a 1911 fan. I've shot 'em in my Marlin Camp also with good results.