The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 25, 2016, 01:43 PM   #1
rebs

VLD chanfering tool ?

Can this tool be used foir all bullets or is it only for VLD bullets ? Any pros or cons on this tool ?
I load only jacketed bullets in both boat tail and flat base.
Old November 25, 2016, 01:55 PM   #2
brasscollector

I use mine on all cases regardless of what type of boolit is getting seated. Only reason I have a VLD chamfering tool is because it came with my motorized case prep tool. Up until I bought that it seems the standard chamfer tool did the job fine.

Pros: Makes you feel better about seating those expensive VLDs

Cons: Cost ten additional dollars to accomplish the same task
Old November 25, 2016, 02:58 PM   #3
rg1

I actually prefer the VLD tool over the standard inside case neck deburring tool. Rifle case trimmers tend to roll a sharp rim on the inside of the necks and outside too. My standard deburr tool doesn't cut out the rolled edge. The VLD cutting edge angle removes the burr without having to turn the standard tool so much that it leaves a knife edge on the case mouth. I say much better for lead and match bullets but also better for standard bullets. Only issue is you can't flip it over and outside deburr too.
Old November 25, 2016, 03:43 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

It's just a more gradual taper to the inside of the neck. In theory, if it matched the boattail perfectly, the bullet would sit upright in the case better and start into the case better centered and come out with less runout. I've yet to see that work out reliably, though, because there is seldom an exact match. Short of accomplishing that, though, the more gradual taper assures an easier start into the mouth for any bullet, so it doesn't hurt anything.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle