The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 28, 2012, 09:49 PM   #1
FALPhil

Hog Scope for Dangerous Game?

I want to scope a 9.3x62 bolt gun that I recently traded for. I intend to use this rifle for brown bear in Alaska next season, and hopefully, on a trip to Africa.

I was looking for a 1x-4x scope with a 1 inch tube and a German post reticle when I ran across the Leupold 1-4x20 VX-1 Hog Scope. Its reticle looks like this:

This reticle seems to draw the eye to its center, which is why I was interested in the German post. What are your thoughts on the suitability of this scope for dangerous game?
Old December 28, 2012, 10:13 PM   #2
big al hunter

What are the reticle subtensions.

If the circle in the center is large enough to see through for vital shot placement ( or small enough to not block the view of vitals) it should be good. That circle does draw your attention.
Old December 28, 2012, 10:32 PM   #3
tomrkba

deleted
Old December 29, 2012, 05:10 AM   #4
mete

That will work fine. The thick portions of the reticle are just what you need for poor light and close range. All my scopes have duplex reticles.
Old December 29, 2012, 06:25 AM   #5
Sport45

PIG PLEX

I like it!

I wonder if you can special order a BEAR PLEX reticle?
Old December 29, 2012, 09:05 AM   #6
FALPhil

Quote:
What are the reticle subtensions.

If the circle in the center is large enough to see through for vital shot placement ( or small enough to not block the view of vitals) it should be good. That circle does draw your attention.
Big Al,

I cannot imagine that the subtension for the thick line is much more than 1 MOA. This scope has a filed of view at 100 yard of almost 75 feet on the 1x setting. I intend to use the rifle for hunting at under 100 yards, and I like the low power because it is easier for me to keep both eyes open on the low setting.

If I buy it, I will try it out on pigs first.
Old December 29, 2012, 09:18 AM   #7
CERBERUS

For what you are looking to do, I would stick with a set of quality ghost ring sights. I keep to the K.I.S.S. method when hunting, because if it can go wrong it will. Specially in Africa, where you can't head to cabellas.
Old December 29, 2012, 05:10 PM   #8
jmr40

That reticle has too much going on in it for my tastes. I'd go with a heavy reticle and something in a fixed power. I like this better.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-25x20-FX-II-...ope-P3264.aspx

It isn't much more expensive, but is a huge step up in quality over the VX-1. Leupold fixed powers are the most reliable scopes on the planet. This is light, quick and with 5" of eye relief and the heavy reticle you will find the crosshairs fast on quick snap shots.
Old December 29, 2012, 05:26 PM   #9
banditt007

Agreed there is way too much going on for a short range reticle. The standard german #4 is fine. ALso if you are looking at the Nikon African safari series rifle scopes (1-4x) they have a nice german #4 reticle but PLEASE TAKE NOTE the one i have has the "fast focus" adjustment ring at the rear of the scope, it is way too easy to turn and lose your focus setting.I have put temporary witness marks on it so i cannot lose my setting. As well as the zoom ring on the scope is MUCH stiffer(!!) to turn than the focus ring. Its way too stiff to turn. Maybe my scope was a fluke but its something to think about.Also the clicks are supposedly 1/2 MOA but to me are more like like 7/8". Aside from that the scope has been good and seems well constructed. If you want mine its in perfect shape and for sale. Just send me a PM. I am probably looking at the weaver line of scopes to replace this one a 1-5x that they offer.
Old December 29, 2012, 06:57 PM   #10
FALPhil

Quote:
I'd go with a heavy reticle and something in a fixed power. I like this better.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-25x20-FX-II-...ope-P3264.aspx
jmr40, I looked at that one, but for the way I hunt a 1x-4x is optimal. A fixed 2.5x is too much compropmise.

I think I will look into the Nikon that Banditt007 mentioned.
Old December 29, 2012, 07:24 PM   #11
jmr40

I agree about the fixed scopes being less versatile. I like the 1-4's better for my uses too, but thought that for hunting DG, especially in Alaska, the added reliabilty of a fixed scope might be a consideration. Especially when looking at the VX-1. I'd at least move up to the better quality VX-2 or VX-3 for that use. For deer or hog hunting I'd have complete faith in the VX-1. Either way, I still like the simplicity of the heavy duplex reticle.

This guy, in addition to being an Alaskan guide has written for a lot of different publications. He has high praise for the fixed, low power Leupold scopes for grizzly hunting.

http://www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com/Hunting.html

I'm an admitted Leupold fan, but the better Nikons are good scopes as well. I just have no experience with their African series.
Old December 30, 2012, 02:51 AM   #12
bamaranger

Hey FAL,

That pig reticle looks a bit busy to me. And though I know little about DGR's, I would think you would NOT need the bullet drop hash marks on a 9.3 in the bush. I am a big fan of the German #1 and have had Leupold install it in several scopes for me. Last one I had done was $55 bucks and back inside 2 weeks. They are bold and fast, precise enough if the range is not too great and the target too small.

One is in a Leupold 1-4x on a Mini-30, the other 2.5xIER a .308 Savage Scout.
With both , I can see the 3D deer archery target in my yard in total darkness at 50-75 yds, and obtain a sight picture that would give a hit. You can perch a small target (like a 3x5 file card) on top of the post and hammer it easily in good light consistently at 100.

It is not a beanfield or varminter reticle, but for GP and big game at woods ranges, I think it is a very good choice. The lack of a fourth "overhead" post really opens up the field of view, and is like looking out a window.

I am seriously considering putting a 1-4x or a fixed 2.5x on my turkey gun with a #1 as well. (eyes are slipping a bit).
Old December 30, 2012, 03:25 PM   #13
lt dan

I agree, the reticle looks busy, but would probably work.

Take note that there are a few countries that dont allow 9.3 on dangerous game. Over here in the good old RSA 375 is the min for dg.

Good luck. Hope you take a cape buff when you visit, I think that the cape buffalo contains the anger of God.
Old December 30, 2012, 11:01 PM   #14
FALPhil

Quote:
Take note that there are a few countries that dont allow 9.3 on dangerous game. Over here in the good old RSA 375 is the min for dg.

Good luck. Hope you take a cape buff when you visit, I think that the cape buffalo contains the anger of God.
Dan, I was aware of some of the restrictions. I am in the process of converting a Charles Daly Mauser to 375 Ruger. The 9.3 has already been to Africa for an antelope cull hunt. I think that, legalities notwithstanding, the 9.3 is plenty for big cats, but I would want at least a 375 for buff.

If you can recommend any reputable guides or outfitters, please feel free to pass them along.
Old December 31, 2012, 02:07 AM   #15
lt dan

Phil, there is a well known gun shop owner in RSA that took 19 baffalo with the 9,3 and on top of it all this hunter is a lady. All one shot kills. To me the difference is so little between the 9 and the 375, That I believe you can use the 9 for elephant as well. But I guess they had to draw the line somewhere and 375 was the min.

Yes, I can recomend a couple of ph's/ outfitters. I have done so in the past on this forum, and since then the Usa hunters came over here twice and used the same ph both times.

The usa hunter is a member of the firing line and I can pm his name and you can bet in touch with him yourself to confirm my info.
Old December 31, 2012, 04:41 AM   #16
natman

You don't want "versatility" on a dangerous game rifle. You want a rifle that's optimized for dangerous game and above all, will absolutely, positively work every single time.

I don't see the point of all the gimcracks in the reticle. Do you really need vertical range marks on a 4x scope? If you must scope a DG rifle, you want a fixed power, not only because they are physically more robust but because they can't get set to 4x when you desperately need to get a sight picture right now.

I'd recommend ghost ring sights, but if you must have a scope, try a fixed 1.5x, if you can find one or a 2.5x scout scope.
Old December 31, 2012, 06:22 AM   #17
lt dan

Phil, not many of the flavour of the month calibers from th US gets noticed over here. There is many reasons for this of wich the gunlaws are the main reason.

New calibers that did make an impact here are the 300wsm for all round plains game, the 204 Ruger for pest control such as jackal and then the 375 Ruger for dg.

This might not seem like much, but do take into consideration that the locals still prefer the 300H&H before the wm.

The 375 H&H has a "holy" status amongst the local hunters. I have a 300H&H myself and allways thougt I would own a 375H&H. That is untill I shot with 375 Ruger.

I have hunted with many American hunters in my time, and cant for the life of me understan why you guys are being sold on the idia that to be able to hunt plains game in Africa you need this uber magnum cannon. Why wont a good American hunter that knows his 30-06, not be able to hunt plains game in Africa? But that is a topicfor another time. Get over here with the new 375 ruger and no buff will be able to stand infront of that combo.
Old December 31, 2012, 02:25 PM   #18
FALPhil

Quote:
I have hunted with many American hunters in my time, and cant for the life of me understan why you guys are being sold on the idia that to be able to hunt plains game in Africa you need this uber magnum cannon. Why wont a good American hunter that knows his 30-06, not be able to hunt plains game in Africa? But that is a topicfor another time. Get over here with the new 375 ruger and no buff will be able to stand infront of that combo.
Dan, the 30-06 is my go-to cartridge for the vast majority of my hunting. However, when I go back to Africa, it just seems like I need a "traditional" African cartridge, hence the 9.3x62. I look at the 9.3 as the "working man's safari rifle". It's kind of like using chop sticks to eat Asian food. It tastes better when you do. And the 9.3 will make the hunt more satisfying.

The 375, either in H&H or Ruger is merely a concession to legal requirements. The only reason I am not building a 375 H&H is that I used my ZKK602 action for a 338 RUM build.

Now, in RSA, is the '06 legal for plains game?
Old January 1, 2013, 09:34 AM   #19
lt dan

30. -06 leagal for pg except giraffe.
Old January 2, 2013, 09:24 PM   #20
reynolds357

Not knocking Leupold, but I would not trust a VX1 for a big hunt. My 8mm rem mag with a brake destroyed a vxii so many times I lost count. I like Leupold's higher end stuff, but the VXII and under have not impressed me in the least. As far as that goes, I just put a VXIII in the box this morning to go back because the AO adjustment went crazy.
Old January 9, 2013, 03:39 PM   #21
alex0535

It reminds me a lot of the Accu-Range reticule that I have on my redfields. Basically the same design without the hash marks on the sides and below the circle.

I shoot squirrels through the heart at any range I can see one. For a target as large as a bear, I think I could hit one exactly where I want to with it.
Old January 10, 2013, 09:39 PM   #22
reynolds357

I need to learn how to shoot. I can see squirrels at 600 yards but I could not hit one in the heart at that distance.
Old January 10, 2013, 09:52 PM   #23
alex0535

^I can't see them out past 100 yards, you sir have very good vision and a lot more open space than we have here.
Old January 11, 2013, 12:32 PM   #24
chewie146

Amen to that. I can't see deer at 600 yards around here. Elk are visible if they're on the Valle. I'd think that would be a neat scope. It looks like a quick reticule.
Old January 11, 2013, 06:02 PM   #25
reynolds357

I hunt with good binoculars.