The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old July 1, 2012, 02:48 AM   #1
south.texas.dead.I

Last minute practice for chl test

I just turned 21 about a month ago and the date for my course is fast approaching, July 9th actually and I was wondering if there's anything I should throw into my shooting to help me out a course days before the test.

Living another day
To CRUSH another clay
Old July 1, 2012, 05:05 AM   #2
1911Alaska

Congrats on turning 21. I turned 21 last week and took my class 2 days later. Mine was a written test then a shooting test. The written test was simple and afterwards we went over it as a class to make sure nobody failed. I think they did this part that way because in Alaska you do not need a ccl so they don't want to fail somebody unless they do a terrible job.

The shooting part was fun for me. It was an all day thing. They taught us all the drills, corrected are shooting techniques, and taught us a bunch of information. The shooting part just takes practice. It was not to hard for me though.

It was 12 rounds at 3 yards, 7 yards and 15 yards. For each part we shot 6 at a time, performed a tactical reload then shot our next 6. I passed. I think one person in the class of 21 failed it.

I think just practicing your shooting and get update on local laws and you should be fine.

I found this on google for you by the way. I am assuming you are from Texas so hopefully this applys to you and maybe helps you out?

http://www.krtraining.com/KRTraining...L/CHLtest.html
Old July 1, 2012, 05:21 AM   #3
mumbo719

Quote:
I think just practicing your shooting and get update on local laws and you should be fine.
Yup, even us older shooters need to practice up on the laws once in a while. With your new Dillon you should be able to practice pretty inexpensively also.
Old July 2, 2012, 10:12 PM   #4
south.texas.dead.I

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbo719 View Post
Yup, even us older shooters need to practice up on the laws once in a while. With your new Dillon you should be able to practice pretty inexpensively also.
Definitly will justify me shooting a ton, gotta "break in" the press so to speak haha

Living another day
To CRUSH another clay
Old July 3, 2012, 12:19 AM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

The TX CHL shooting test is, in my opinion, more to give the instructor a chance to observe you with a firearm to make sure you're not a danger to yourself or others than it is a real shooting test.

If you have a working handgun and still fail the test, then, without a doubt, you have no business carrying a handgun. In other words, don't worry about the shooting test, it's not something to be nervous about and you won't need to practice for it unless you've never shot before.

As far as the written test goes, they're not trying to prevent people from getting their CHLs, they just want to make sure you paid attention in the class. You will pass the written test with no problem.
Old July 4, 2012, 11:53 AM   #6
USNavy_233

I'll 2nd (or is it 3rd at this point) brushing up on the law. Shooting is the "easy" part of having a permit. Makin sure you stay abreast of all the laws pertaining to your rights in a given area requires more attention than most bother to give.

Best of luck on the 9th!
Old July 5, 2012, 10:14 AM   #7
Stressfire

Depends on state requirements.

I just did NRA basic for Ohio. Most of the class covered the law and the shooting portion was 50 rounds at 21 feet in groupings to the instructors calls on area (gut, chest, head, etc).

Took my test with a Series 70 Colt - did just fine. The day before I practiced my butt off - literally shot 500+ rounds and it was possibly completely unnecessary.

Written test was pretty standard safety stuff for the most part. While shooting accurately was important, you pretty much just had to hit the darn thing - was less about accuracy and more about safe handling and manipulation.
Old July 5, 2012, 10:40 AM   #8
jimbob86

Just practice basic gun handling: Drawing, holstering, reloading, etc, without pointing the gun at anything you are not supposed to and keeping your trigger finger indexed outside the trigger guard until the sights are on the target. Get so you can reholster one handed, without looking/rooting around for the opening of the holster. Practice drawing and presenting the pistol and finding the front sight. All of the above can be done at home, dry firing.

Most practical CHP exams are not difficult or even timed. I retook my Nebraska CHP class recently, and of out the 24 students in the class, I doubt if there were more than 6 misses through the entire course of fire. The biggest problem my fellow students had was reholstering, and it was obvious that many of them had never actually worn any holster, let alone drilled with the one they intended to carry their gun in.
Old July 5, 2012, 11:56 AM   #9
Glenn E. Meyer

If you already have real practice with a handgun, the shooting test is trivial. It is only trouble for total novices.

The written test is easy if you pay attention.
Old July 5, 2012, 02:13 PM   #10
wxl

The written test is fairly straight forward and common sense. My instructor in South Texas covered most of the material in 3-4 hours.

No need to be nervous on the shooting phase consisting of 50 shots at ranges from 3 yards (20 shots), 7 yards (20 shots) and 15 yards (10 shots).
My wife was pretty nervous so I ran her through the shooting phase probably half dozen times (she probably shot less than 20 rounds every 3 to 4 years). She scored 93% on her qualification. The practice was more a confidence builder as she has always been fairly accurate but slow. The qualification is supposedly timed fire but they were pretty lax.
Old July 5, 2012, 05:26 PM   #11
ScottRiqui

Quote:
If you already have real practice with a handgun, the shooting test is trivial. It is only trouble for total novices.
True. My father took the CHL test with a Glock 19 I gave him, and as far as I can remember, he had only fired it a handful of times prior to taking the test. He's a competent shooter, but he only shoots often enough to maintain proficiency - it's by no means a hobby or regular pastime for him. He was also 75 years old at the time and is completely blind in one eye. Passed with no problems.
Old July 8, 2012, 11:53 PM   #12
Jeff22

CHL Handgun QC

You can use the qualification course as a practice course.

The NRA B-27 target is HUGE. To make your practice more relevant, use a smaller target. The B-34 target is a 1/2 scale version of the B-27, and the B-29 is a 1/3rd scale version of the B-27.

(I've been using the B-34 as a standard practice target for 30 years.)

Shoot the Texas CHL QC on a B-34 target and you'll find it much more challenging. Once you get good at that, shoot it on a B-29.

Keep track of which weapon & target you shot and what your score was. Borrow somebody else's gun and shoot through the course a few times.
Old August 5, 2012, 12:46 PM   #13
Kilroy08

Delaware's live fire requirement was a joke. 100 rounds at 5 yards. I wore out 4 targets with fist sized holes in the middle, every body else's looked like Swiss cheese.

I guess it was just to make sure you know how to handle a gun and point it in the general direction of your target.
Old August 5, 2012, 03:05 PM   #14
south.texas.dead.I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy08 View Post
Delaware's live fire requirement was a joke. 100 rounds at 5 yards. I wore out 4 targets with fist sized holes in the middle, every body else's looked like Swiss cheese.

I guess it was just to make sure you know how to handle a gun and point it in the general direction of your target.
Ya I feel like the test definitly could've been more difficult.

Living another day
To CRUSH another clay
Old August 6, 2012, 10:38 AM   #15
Stressfire

Well? How did you do?
Old August 6, 2012, 10:39 AM   #16
south.texas.dead.I

I ended up shooting a 245 of 250

Living another day
To CRUSH another clay