The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 28, 2018, 11:08 AM   #1
juggernault98

Lee safety prime help/cleaning?

Okay, quick question, has anyone disassembled the lee safety prime for cleaning? or just buy one to replace? My safety prime for some reason is sticking. It places the primer just fine but does not fully come back up to reset to load another primer. I have to squeeze and manipulate the black part of the primer for it to reset. Thus has anyone took it apart? Id rather ask before i open it up and a spring shoots out and takes my eye out.
Old July 28, 2018, 02:14 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I have not had one of those apart, but if you call Lee and describe the problem to their customer service, I expect they'll have seen it before and will know what to do about it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 28, 2018, 03:02 PM   #3
juggernault98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
I have not had one of those apart, but if you call Lee and describe the problem to their customer service, I expect they'll have seen it before and will know what to do about it.

Good starting point thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 28, 2018, 04:21 PM   #4
DaleA

This is certainly NOT an original idea, many, many folk here have suggested it.

When/if you take it apart, put it in a big, clear plastic bag and try to snug the opening of the bag around your wrists as well as you can. If a spring pops out, it's in the bag.
Old July 28, 2018, 05:57 PM   #5
polyphemus

In answer to your question,I for one have disassembled them a few times.
Two springs, the one that resets the loader used to be a U shaped part they have now I believe a new improved one.In my experience unless it is broken the issue can be traced to alignment or even operating technique.In short, no harm will come to you from disassembly but rather there is a good chance that if you correctly place in the press it will function as designed.
Old July 29, 2018, 06:36 AM   #6
TJB101

As Polyphemus mentioned above ... a couple of springs to be aware of. I used a Qtip with rem oil and cleaned the mating parts. And then a dry Qtip to remove any residual oil. Reassembled and it works perfectly. I had the same sticking problem you mentioned.
Old July 31, 2018, 06:36 AM   #7
RickCoop

This sounds like the same difficulty I encountered. The U shaped spring weakens after a while and won`t push the top piece back far enough to allow another primer to load into position. You should get it touch with Lee and buy a few of their "new and improved" U springs. It is a easy fix and nothing is under a lot of spring tension. Changed them myself a coupe of times and I`m not especially gifted. Btw, since I installed the new designed spring, I`ve loaded thousands of rounds without any reoccurrence of the issue.
Old July 31, 2018, 01:14 PM   #8
goose2w1

I've never had a spring go bad on mine, and I've used it for years, but I have encountered your same problem. What I did was fully disassemble the unit and very lightly go over all internal surfaces with a piece of emery cloth, and wipe it completely clean and reassemble. After verifying the mechanism works properly, give it the lightest touch of graphite powder in the front and side.