The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 2, 2009, 03:55 PM   #1
Nero45

Well that was a screw up

Well I was going to ask if 125 gr lead 357mag loaded with Blue Dot is wrong but I saw the sticky on top. I knew there was something wrong when I kept getting concussion. So what am I going to do with 200 rounds, pull the lead and reload again? Thank you.
Old December 2, 2009, 04:01 PM   #2
BillCA

My Speer Number Nine manual (a bit dated!) says that for the 125gr JHP the max load is 14.5g of Blue Dot and a suggested load is 13.5g. If you've started with more than 14.0g then you'll want to examine the cases and primers for signs of excessive pressure.

The .357 Magnum is well known for producing a supersonic concussion wave when fired, especially at indoor concrete ranges.

ETA: I just read the Alliant notice posted as a sticky. The questions should be
  • how long ago did you purchase your Blue Dot powder?
  • Are the projectiles JHP/JSP or cast lead? I'd go with the JHP's as the leading from cast bullets could cause pressure issues too.
  • Did you use magnum primers or standard primers? If magnum, I'd take the rounds apart.
  • Are you seeing flattened or cratered primers? Are the cases sticking in the chambers? If so, take 'em apart.

Last edited by BillCA; December 2, 2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old December 2, 2009, 04:04 PM   #3
ZeSpectre

Quote:
The .357 Magnum is well known for producing a supersonic concussion wave when fired, especially at indoor concrete ranges.
I'm not at all joking when I tell you this. On one range trip the combination of dry and cold winter air, hot 125gr .357 loads, being in the aisle next to the wall, and a 4" ported barrel...actually gave me a bloody nose!

Personally, I'd pull all the rounds and start over. Yeah a pain but sure beats a hospital trip (or worse)!
Old December 3, 2009, 10:52 PM   #4
jpsshack

When in doubt, pull 'em out
Old December 4, 2009, 02:33 AM   #5
Tex S

Quote:
On one range trip the combination of dry and cold winter air, hot 125gr .357 loads, being in the aisle next to the wall, and a 4" ported barrel...actually gave me a bloody nose!
Thats cool.
Old December 4, 2009, 04:09 PM   #6
dwhite

I just pulled 25 rounds I put together with 13.5 grains of BlueDot and a Winchester 125gr JHP. Darn near had to beat the cases out of the cylinder of my Security-Six. Primers were flattened pretty well and cratered. This powder was just a little over a year old.

All the Best,
D. Whtie