The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 28, 2018, 08:40 PM   #1
Micro man

Glock reloads

Recently purchased a used G30S and since I enjoy reloading,
wanted to reload for the 45ACP. While researching the gun I came across references to its unsupported barrel and problems with the cases bulging.
I was wondering what issues members have had with reloading for Glocks so I know what I'm getting myself in for.

Micro man
Old July 28, 2018, 08:49 PM   #2
dallasb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro man View Post
Recently purchased a used G30S and since I enjoy reloading,
wanted to reload for the 45ACP. While researching the gun I came across references to its unsupported barrel and problems with the cases bulging.
I was wondering what issues members have had with reloading for Glocks so I know what I'm getting myself in for.

Micro man
I've never had a problem with reloads in a glock. If you load to max yes you may see a smiley face from the unsupported chamber, but nothing a bulge buster die cant take out. 45 is a relatively low pressure round.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old July 28, 2018, 09:01 PM   #3
FITASC

I reload 9mm for Glocks from Gen 2, 3 and 4
Never an issue in 30+ years.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 29, 2018, 08:13 AM   #4
locknloader

40cal is the one notorious for this.

I personally reload for 9mm shot from glocks as well (17 and 19 gen3's) and cases are fine. If i am shooting high power stuff like +P or a really hot load, i do notice some dings from the ejector but they press right out on the resizing die.
Old July 29, 2018, 09:27 AM   #5
Grey_Lion

In my research the most severe glock smile and glock kaboom cases were .40 S&W in gen 1-3. Gen 4 the issue was corrected which I can attest to. When I collect .40 range brass I can tell if it was fired in a gen 3 or before by the slight bulge near the base of the case. I can feel the difference when the case base gets tight in the decapping die at the end of the lever stroke.

I do not know and did not research the condition in .45 ACP - but were I in the market for a used glock - I'd have looked that up before I put any cash on the table.

And with that said I have my eye out for another .40 glock but will avoid anything gen 3 or before. There are a lot of used Gen 2 and Gen 3 law enforcement frames out there, but I wouldn't get one unless I intended to get an aftermarket barrel for it due to the glock smile issue.
Old July 29, 2018, 03:14 PM   #6
Nick_C_S

All the posts so far are good. But I think this topic got covered by post #2, by dallasb.

As mentioned, 45 ACP is a fairly low pressure round so it's likely much ado about nothing.

If you're still concerned, you can try the Lee Bulge Buster. I have one and it works great. However, it turns out, I don't need it for 45 ACP; keeping in mind I have 1911's, not Glocks. I do need a bulge buster for my two Glock 10mm Autos - but that's a horse of a different color.

The other option is to get some Starline 45 ACP+P brass. I recently purchased 1K pcs and they are indeed quite sturdy. Just yesterday, I weighed a couple samples of their "non+P" brass - 77 grains. Their +P brass weighed in at 91 grains. That's almost one GraM heavier. So they are indeed quite a bit beefier.

Or you could do both.

Or neither.
Old July 29, 2018, 08:34 PM   #7
Micro man

Thanks for all the responses, I feel better about the ? issue . I will keep an eye out for any bulges in my cases, and thanks Nick for the suggestion about the Starline brass, I usually try and pick some up when its on sale for my 9mm and will keep an eye out for sales of the 45ACP now also.
Old July 29, 2018, 08:48 PM   #8
BBarn

I've seen case bulge with a gen 2 model 21 when loading to +P in Federal cases several years back. Same loads had no bulge when fired in a 1911. Don't recall seeing bulges with mid range standard pressure loads in the 21. Something to keep an eye out for in the Glocks.
Old July 30, 2018, 07:11 AM   #9
J.G. Terry

G21

Glock case bulges in various calibers is a hot button topic. This bulging case issue has been kicked around the net for years. Having personally loaded recently for a Gen2 Glock 22 there may be some concerns. I did send the gun back to make sure that Bubba had not improved the action etc. It was restored to good health and returned with the same barrel. No problems. If the bulge is a problem both Lee and Redding make push through dies. The G21's load, from my experience, like any other 45 ACP handgun. Always try to find out if who ever is offering the advice has actually loaded for a Glock. My G21 is a Gen3. If you are bulging cases in a 45ACP you need to seriously look to your load first.

Last edited by J.G. Terry; July 30, 2018 at 07:15 AM. Reason: SOS
Old August 1, 2018, 01:28 AM   #10
briandg

I actually had a case blow out on a 9mm glock. Not as expected, at the ramp, it actually tore open at the web. Very strange. But, the thing failed to kill me and destroy the gun. My hand stung for a while. My fingers got kinda smoky. It still hit the paper. The brass showed evidence of flaws in the metal.

The bottom line is that if you conservatively load at the low end of the range, such as at start charges, and your rounds seem to work properly, you ought to be fine, right? that thing is designed to properly fire SAAMI specification ammo, and your handloads, if you follow guidelines and proper load data, it will be reasonably within saami specs.
Old August 1, 2018, 02:17 AM   #11
mete

briandg , do you have a photo of the case ?
I ask because I reported on a case that had a manufacturing defect but it failed after a number of reloads rather than one shot . Cases are often " back extruded " , the die was poorly made causing an eventual failure.
Old August 1, 2018, 06:32 AM   #12
Drock

Micro man, I occasionally shoot Underwood .45 Super in my Glock 30SF, stock barrel, with no issues. I just use a 23 lb recoil spring when I do. That's the only change needed unless you want to shoot lead.

Dave